the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

review - Al Green, Concert Hall, June 30, 2009

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

sold out - 2300
The Dirty Dozen Brass Band from New Orleans opened up, first as a quartet then growing to about seven members, but never a dozen.

They were slow to interest me, but when they had the music cookin', the joint was jumping along to tunes such as When The Saints Come Marching In. I'll give them kudos for getting just about everyone in the house on their feet and dancing.

Al Green's band consisted of 13 performers, including three backing singers, two of who are daughters of his, two guitar players, two keyboardists, a drummer, a percussionist, a bass player and a horn section.

Green was super cheesy. He played the role of some hot stud soul man by throwing out roses in bunches, and sometimes one at a time, to women in the audience. Some approached the front of the stage and Green would deliver not only a rose but also a peck on the cheek. This is the kind of schtick I imagined Elvis used to do. While it was his first time performing in Winnipeg, Green had the audience in the palms of his hands, even though he did some strange things like stop songs to tell stories and stray far enough away from the microphone to cause some audience members to yell out that the mike wasn't working.

Towards the latter part of the show, he performed a medley of soul hits to show the fans where he "came from." These included such staples as Sugar Pie Honey Bunch (the Four Tops), My Girl (Temptations), Bring It On Home To Me (Sam Cooke) and (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding.)

Classic Green tunes performed included Let's Stay Together, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, I'm Still In Love With You and others.

Al's an ordained minister and it came as no surprise when the "Praise Jesus" comments came out. I thought he was going to get the entire audience to testify to the glory of the Lord or something like that, in between him tossing roses.

It was a good show. People were signing along. Just when people began to sit down, Green would knock out another tunes that practically compelled to stand and shimmy along. The scantiliy clad woman sitting beside me was among several who walked to the front of the stage for a rose, but Green didn't give one out to everyone. At the end when he was making his way along the right side of the stage to the left, shaking hands with people in the front row, she made a bee line for the left side, but Green once again stopped short and instead waved farewell to the crowd.

Despite the obvious audience enthusiasm, I wasn't all that into the show. The opening band had its moments, but overall, I would honestly not go out of my way to see either artist again. I'm rather spoiled by straight-ahead jazz so anything jazzy ususally falls short for me. I'm willing to bet a large chunk of the audience would see him again in a heartbeat, though.

Overall, I would rate this show 4/5.

review - Al Green, Concert Hall, June 30, 2009 1287713

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wow....still would have been great to hear him though....I went to his church in Memphis once.....amazing experience.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I may not always agree with a lot of what Triniman posts but I appreciate his concert notices and reviews. And I always give him a thumbs up for his reviews.

Thanks Triniman!

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Agreed!

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum