the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can You Repair bicycles or Do You Know Someone who can?

+4
anny
Deank
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We are looking for names of people who can volunteer any amount of time to help repair bikes to be handed out to needy kids and even older kids

http://www.elansofas.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

eastsider does this...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Doesn;t the orioles bike cage offer something like this?

anny

contributor
contributor

The Bike Dump probably has a slew of knowledgeable people. Also, the Uof M crew. I'll ask my friend. I would also ask for volunteer techs from the bike shops around town, like Gord's and Natural Cycle.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Check with Bikes & Beyond as well as I believe they do this type of work.

Anonymous

Natural Cycle on Albert Street.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I'd love to help out anyway that I could.......on my daily bike rides I often pick up bikes that have been trashed and between me and a buddy of mine we resurrect them! They usually go to the Sally Ann but if you can give them directly to needy kids then thats even better.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I believe by putting two and two together we can come up with the fact that perhaps Rosie and Sammie have come to a consensus on having some of the bikes from the yearly bike auction donated to kids, so they probably have enough bikes... just need some workers.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Ah ok Dean........I just read his post on the dark side, if mayor Sammie comes through they have bikes a plenty then.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am not sure what King Sam needs, but I am going to assume that they need someone to take over the dstribution of recovered bikes. He mentioned that there were complaints after th auction, that some bikes were in need of repair. He must want a group of people to take over the repair and re-cycling of bikes that are working?
I believe that at prsent just the auctioning off the bikes is taking a lot of effort?
My intention of asking for names of people who can help is to try and get some people who might be able to help! Lots of good suggestions, and I am going toask Mayor Sam what area the city has for this task? I do not know where the bikes have been stored.
I would think that there are bikesthat are recovered that could be taken down to community centers right away!

http://www.elansofas.com

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I'm willing to bet that about half those bikes will just need a good cleanup, greasing and oiling, maybe patch a tire and ready to go. The rest if they are anything like the stolen bikes I find dumped in the bush will need alot of TLC.....wheels trued, new shifter/brake cables, cranks rebuilt. Lets hope the good outweighs the bad!

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Having been involved in the bike auction in the past, it is safe to say that most of those auctioned off are in need of repair. Yes, you can get a $500 bike for $50, but be prepared to spend $$ to get it into working condition.

The proceeds of the auction, after the auctioneers fees, are used to offset the cost of the bicycle recovery section, including other associated costs of the auction (rental, transportation), storage of the bikes, operating costs of the section. It would be interesting to see the actual $$ on that operation.

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

Both of the bikes that I bought at the auction needed new parts. I would expect that is the norm for those bikes ... which bring about the question of funding for bike bike parts. To some extent you may be able to scavenge parts from one bike to fix another, but there will always be a need for new parts to make some bikes work properly.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum