the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Photo Radar: Looking for eight angry NDP

+2
Freeman
grumpy old man
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Photo Radar: Looking for eight angry NDP Empty Photo Radar: Looking for eight angry NDP Sun May 24, 2009 11:19 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

By PAUL RUTHERFORD

For Winnipeggers who have never received a photo radar ticket and are praying each night this hot debate might cool down or disappear altogether, it's just not going to happen.

People who paid the fines are too mad. They want their money back, no matter how paltry the refund might be. The debate is sticking around due to the lack of any kind of concrete action on the part of the governing New Democrats. Justice minister Dave Chomiak has done nothing to extinguish it.

Not only is he not paying back the fines, he's acting like photo radar is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

He doesn't have the money to issue refunds but he could do the next best thing which is end photo radar when the current contract expires. His party could then create a better solution for tackling speeders -- one that's not a blatant cash grab. Manitoba's Progressive Conservatives meanwhile are fixated, or perhaps a better word is obsessed, with getting the NDP to cave in and flip flip on the refund decision, and pay back those who got "illegal" tickets in unmanned construction zones.

A group of Winnipeg-area drivers have joined Tory leader Hugh McFadyen in his push to pressure Premier Gary Doer to allow a free vote on a Conservative motion -- to be introduced Monday -- calling on some 60,000 paid photo radar fines to be refunded.

"We're hoping all MLAs will side with their constituents and vote for fairness. This non-partisan motion will give them the opportunity to do just that," McFadyen said Friday.

Of course this is all about politics. It's a nifty attempt to try to divide the NDP and thereby gain political strength -- in time for the next election -- from a split NDP party.

McFadyen claims the motion will need only eight NDP MLAs to join all the Conservatives to pass it in the provincial legislature.

He's urging NDP MLAs to listen to their constituients (sic) and vote against party lines, or as he puts it "Yes to fairness."

The Conservative's motion is an excellent ploy. Just because the NDP is enjoying uninterrupted popularity with Manitobans doesn't mean there isn't a few MLAs disgusted with Chomiak's decision on this. As sure as photo radar is snapping pictures right now, there's a handful of NDPers who think the party has risked too much with this program.

Will they have the guts to step up to the plate and break with the team? Who in the government benches will end up smelling like a rose by distancing themselves from Chomiak and his government's stubborn strategy on using photo radar? It will take a miracle, you say?

Not if MLAS do what they promised to do when elected. Listen to the voters.

paul.rutherford@sunmedia.ca [/quote]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

eMAIL to one or all of the MLA peeps listed below. Let them know what you think of this matter.
E-MAIL ADDRESSES
bidhu.jha@leg.gov.mb.ca
bill.blaikie@leg.gov.mb.ca
blaine.pedersen@leg.gov.mb.ca
bonnie.korzeniowski@leg.gov.mb.ca
bonnie.mitchelson@leg.gov.mb.ca
cliff.cullen@leg.gov.mb.ca
cliff.graydon@leg.gov.mb.ca
daryl.reid@leg.gov.mb.ca
david.faurschou@leg.gov.mb.ca
doug.martindale@leg.gov.mb.ca
drew.caldwell@leg.gov.mb.ca
erin.selby@leg.gov.mb.ca
erna.braun@leg.gov.mb.ca
flor.marcelino@leg.gov.mb.ca
frank.whitehead@leg.gov.mb.ca
george.hickes@leg.gov.mb.ca
gerald.hawranik@leg.gov.mb.ca
gerard.jennissen@leg.gov.mb.ca
greg.dewar@leg.gov.mb.ca
heather.stefanson@leg.gov.mb.ca
hugh.mcfadyen@leg.gov.mb.ca
jennifer.howard@leg.gov.mb.ca
jon.gerrard@leg.gov.mb.ca
kelvin.goertzen@leg.gov.mb.ca
kevin.lamoureux@leg.gov.mb.ca
larry.maguire@leg.gov.mb.ca
leanne.rowat@leg.gov.mb.ca
len.derkach@leg.gov.mb.ca
marilyn.brick@leg.gov.mb.ca
mavis.taillieu@leg.gov.mb.ca
minaed@leg.gov.mb.ca
minagr@leg.gov.mb.ca
mincht@leg.gov.mb.ca
mincon@leg.gov.mb.ca
minctt@leg.gov.mb.ca
minedu@leg.gov.mb.ca
minfam@leg.gov.mb.ca
minfin@leg.gov.mb.ca
minhliv@leg.gov.mb.ca
minhlt@leg.gov.mb.ca
minhou@leg.gov.mb.ca
minia@leg.gov.mb.ca
mininfratran@leg.gov.mb.ca
minjus@leg.gov.mb.ca
minlab@leg.gov.mb.ca
minstem@leg.gov.mb.ca
minwsd@leg.gov.mb.ca
mohinder.saran@leg.gov.mb.ca
myrna.driedger@leg.gov.mb.ca
peter.dyck@leg.gov.mb.ca
premier@leg.gov.mb.ca
ralph.eichler@leg.gov.mb.ca
rick.borotsik@leg.gov.mb.ca
rob.altemeyer@leg.gov.mb.ca
ron.schuler@leg.gov.mb.ca
sharon.blady@leg.gov.mb.ca
stuart.briese@leg.gov.mb.ca
tom.nevakshonoff@leg.gov.mb.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Here is my letter just eMAILed to every Manitoba MLA. I urge you to voice your view as well.

I wanted to express my view on the subject of photo radar in Manitoba.

The government presents this as a safety issue. I don’t agree. I feel the issue is more a revenue generator. And with shady and unethical traps it borders on entrapment.

I further believe the government of the day, and in particular Dave Chomiak, appear arrogant in their handling of this matter. It seems that many, many thousands of Manitobans have been falsely charged with speeding, in particular in construction zones. To not cancel those tickets and repay those falsely charged is nothing more than a blatant cash grab.

For the record I’ve never received a speeding ticket in a construction zone. My point is one of moral and ethical standards.

I can assure you that I will make sure my family and friends remember this come election time. Act accordingly.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Good thing you're not looking for eight smart NDP!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I've received personal replies from Dr. Gerrard, Heather Stefanson and two others. Gerrard and Stefanson's were well considered. One was abrupt. The other was polite.

Anybody else write to their mla?

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I wrote to my city counselor, and mayor last week. Also to the Justice minister and Premier. No reply for any of them.

No surprised.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I've received personal replies from Jon Gerrard, Heather Stefanson, Blaine Pedersen, Cliff Cullen and Christine Melnick. Gerrard and
Stefanson's were well considered. The others were polite.

One Liberal, three PCs and one NDP response...

Updated for the record.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Heard this evening on TGCTS...

It seems that not only were SOME tickets illegally issued in construction zones because there were no workers present but commissionaires are not allowed, under legislation, to issue speeding tickets in construction zones. Apparently only police officers may issue speeding tickets in construction zones.

I don't know how accurate this is. I'd be interested in confirmation.

I'd also like to know if radar traps are only allowed in school zones and/or playgrounds. Or are they allowed to set up anywhere?

Anonymous

Yes that is what I have been told by a lawyer who I have been talking to at the lake . Also there is talk of the fact that it did not involve a offence for which they were approved to issue for .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Aren't all photo radar tickets signed off by a police officer? I don't know, I never got one myself, but I do recall looking at other peoples' tickets.
sarcasm

Anonymous

I think they are totally from the commissionaire but are reviewed by the police I believe course they were told to look the other way by the goverment , which for a both is sometimes the norm .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Oh, c'mon, can't somebody who actually got a ticket just check it quickly and see if its signed by a policeman?

Anonymous

Mine is not so there .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Are you really, really sure? A summons must be issued by a peace officer. So back atcha.

Anonymous

There is a section where a peace officer signs off on the ticket and puts his number and signature to use.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Thanks JTF. Thats what I thought. Those tickets are reviewed and issued by a peace officer, not a commissionaire, even though I wonder why the commissionaire could not be considered a peace officer.

But anyway,

Anonymous

"I wonder why the commissionaire could not be considered a peace officer."

Pay rates I believe.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The review is all smoke and mirrors. The officer was not at the ticketing location. How can he sign off on something he was not witness to?

Anonymous

I believe that they attest to the accuracy of the photo machine and that the process was/is good-to-go.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Actually I learned about this when I had to go fight a camera ticket.

The commissionaires are sworn in as "Special Constables" and they do (in fact) have the signing power to issue the ticket. An actual police officer is not involved in the issuing of the photo radar tickets.

When you go to fight the ticket, the commissionaire is required to attend the same as an officer would had they issued a ticket.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

So I attended at 373 Broadway this morning to fight a photo radar speeding ticket for supposedly speeding in the area of a play ground.

The photo did not clearly show the license plate. They would have to have assumed at one of the digits.

I pleaded not guilty. I won. Completely dismissed.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

anyone show up to argue for the accusers?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Nope.

Anonymous

Dam mine were clear on mine . surprised that they would have let it go this far as it was blurred .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Here is an eMAIL I received from Erin Selby:

Thank you for raising your concerns about the issue of refunds for photo radar construction zone tickets. I have forwarded your correspondence to the attention of the Hon. Dave Chomiak, Attorney General who will be responding directly to your questions.

I have received a number of comments on both sides of this issue over the last week and am taking the matter seriously.

Again, I appreciate your bringing this matter to my attention.

Here is an eMAIL I received from Bonnie Korzeniowski:

Thank you for emailing me your concerns about the issue of refunds for construction zone speeding tickets. I have forwarded your correspondence to the attention of the Hon. Dave Chomiak, Attorney General, who will be responding directly to your concerns.

I have received a number of comments on both sides of this issue and am taking the matter seriously. I appreciate your bringing this matter to my attention.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum