the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close?

+5
Deank
grumpy old man
Freeman
rosencrentz
Triniman
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which Wpg & Brandon GM dealers do you believe will close?

Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_lcap9%Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_rcap 9% [ 2 ]
Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_lcap4%Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_rcap 4% [ 1 ]
Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_lcap9%Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_rcap 9% [ 2 ]
Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_lcap13%Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_rcap 13% [ 3 ]
Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_lcap17%Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_rcap 17% [ 4 ]
Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_lcap17%Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_rcap 17% [ 4 ]
Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_lcap13%Which Wpg GM & Brandon dealers do you believe will close? Vote_rcap 13% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Some GM dealers in Manitoba will be forced to shut. Which Winnipeg & Brandon dealers do you think will close?
-----------------
GM Canada says 245 dealerships getting axed
Updated: Wed May. 20 2009 1:15:42 PM

General Motors confirmed Wednesday that it has informed almost two-fifths of its dealerships across Canada that their relationship with the automaker will be terminated.

A GM spokesperson said letters were sent Wednesday to 245 of 709 dealerships in Canada informing them that their sales-and-service relationships will be ending.

Further consolidation by the end of 2010 is expected to push the number of closed dealerships even higher

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Do you think that these are the small dealers in small towns who sell 12 cars a year?

http://www.elansofas.com

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Maybe more than 12 cars a year, but there are lots of other dealers. The software only allows 10 choices, however, so I picked Wpg and Brandon.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Close them all. Make room for more Hyundai dealers.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Freeman wrote:Close them all. Make room for more Hyundai dealers.
Hyundai has come a long way. I take it you drive one?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I LOVE MY CAR.

Bought an Elantra last year. Never thought I would as I'm kind of a Honda guy, but the car is great. Well thought out. The little things make a difference. If the Big 3 had done what they had done, they would not be in the position they are in now.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think you identified the basic problem with the big three. They did not learn during the last crises. I doubt they'll learn from this crises. Their arrogance knows no bounds.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I think you identified the basic problem with the big three. They did not learn during the last crises. I doubt they'll learn from this crises. Their arrogance knows no bounds.
The fact that people actually bought millions of Big 3 vehicles since the last crisis tells you something about some consumers. Hopefully, people are expecting more from their vehicles.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

gonna be a tough one,

I know Guathier has layed some people off, but I am fairly certain its sticking around. I dont think many of the Winnipeg ones will close.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:gonna be a tough one,

I know Guathier has layed some people off, but I am fairly certain its sticking around. I dont think many of the Winnipeg ones will close.
I hate to see people lose their jobs. It's not like they're all going to find work at the other dealers. It will be interesting to see what, if any, new business ventures emerge from the aftermath of closures. Will a bunch of laid off mechanics and service writers band together to open their own independent shops? Competition is always a good thing, IMHO.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

With Big 3 dealers closing, it will become more difficult to get warranty work done on the crap they've been selling.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Competition is a good thing. But too much of a good thing is still too much. I have no idea if there are too many GM dealerships in Winnipeg/Manitoba, but I guess we'll soon find out.

As to peeps buying millions of Big 3 cars, true that. But not enough to become profitable. They have been losing market share for years. This crises just opened up the injury the Big 3 would have inevitably suffered.

No matter how much money government throws at these guys (GM and Chrysler anywho) if they do not start recognizing what the market demands, like Honda and Toyota and Hyundai have, they will collapse.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Competition is a good thing. But too much of a good thing is still too much. I have no idea if there are too many GM dealerships in Winnipeg/Manitoba, but I guess we'll soon find out.

As to peeps buying millions of Big 3 cars, true that. But not enough to become profitable. They have been losing market share for years. This crises just opened up the injury the Big 3 would have inevitably suffered.

No matter how much money government throws at these guys (GM and Chrysler anywho) if they do not start recognizing what the market demands, like Honda and Toyota and Hyundai have, they will collapse.
If you had to briefly summarize the advantage that Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have, what would they be?
I used to think it was sheer quality, but they say that the Big 3 are churning out vehicles that score just as well in the JD Power initial quality ratings, so who knows?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The non big 3 are hurting just as bad right now,

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Everyone's opinionated about a particular brand and for various
reasons. Personally, in the short time that I've been able to own
vehicles, I've owned 3, and none of them were built in Canada. However
all of them were made by at least one of the used-to-be-big three.

You find me ten people who will hail the quality of Toyota, Honda and Hyundai, and I'll find you ten people who will say the exact same thing about the used-to-be big three.

Riddle me this...if the auto maker opens a assembly plant in a foreign country and imports parts from several different countries, and assembles the vehicles in the host country...is it still a foreign vehicle or is it now a domestic?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

why thats a domestic!

heh...and is exactly why Toyota and Etc started building cars here.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

FYI almost every car I've owned were GM or Chrysler. I did own a Honda Prelude. Never owned a Ford or Toyota.

Quality used to be the big difference between Japanese and NA vehicles. Not sure now that is the deciding point. Certainly not at the higher end of the scale. It may well be on the lower end.

But I thing the major difference is subjective measures: innovation, attractiveness, comfort. Almost every Japanese/German/Korean car built today is a nice looking car.

Hard to pinpoint. Certainly resale value is a big indicator.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I've always been a Dodge man too, have driven all kinds from Vauxhalls to Suzukis but in the end I always come back to Dodge. Its not so much quality or anything else why I choose Dodge over others, its simply brand loyalty. And I'll bet GOM thinks along the same lines!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

N'yes and no... I had three Grand Cherokees in a row. (Plus a fourth to replace a one month new stolen Grand Cherokee. I really liked the Grand Cherokee. Prior to that I had a 300M. I just loved the look of that car. My latest is another Jeep (Compass) and I guess that is where the brand loyalty comes in.

But, I don't like my new car. I will likely buy a gently used BMW or something similar next.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

GOM,whats wrong with the Compass? I love the look of it and the fact it has a 4 banger in it( 2.2 or 2.4 I think).If I could get your vehicle with a 5 speed standard I'd be in heaven:)

Anonymous

I recently read where they compared GM and Toyota dealership numbers.

Both were doing about 2M plus sales, but GM had 4 times the number of dealerships.

Heh...that's not sustainable.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

eastsider wrote:GOM,whats wrong with the Compass? I love the look of it and the fact it has a 4 banger in it( 2.2 or 2.4 I think).If I could get your vehicle with a 5 speed standard I'd be in heaven:)
It is sucked out. No power what-so-ever. It has an auto-stick and I use that. The five speed standard would make a world of difference. A six-banger would be perfect for that car.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Murray perhaps?

C'mon...now's the time for some unfounded wild speculation!

Frick, they pay people to gossip like this in the financial sector!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum