the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Liberal convention... some results

+5
Electrician
Triniman
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
Deank
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Liberal convention... some results Empty Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 1:20 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Liberal-delegates-leave-room-for-carbon-tax-which-Ignatieff-doesnt-support-44228957.html

Other motions passed Saturday include:

• Reducing poverty by 30 per cent and child poverty by 50 per cent within five years — another idea championed by Dion;
  • Bringing back the $5-billion Kelowna Accord for aboriginals, signed in 2005 by Paul Martin’s Liberal government and later scrapped by Harper;
  • The creation of a national child-care program and improving home care;
  • Creating a national housing policy;
  • Expanding the power of the Canadian Human Rights Commission;
  • Providing incentives for alternative energy, including wind and nuclear power; and,
  • Allowing gay men to donate organs.

I am going to go to hell for this and yes yes I know its stupid that they dont allow it, but seriously does the freep or Liberals or whoever really have to set me up like this?
"Allowing gay men to donate organs."???? I thought they already did that every night!

2Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 8:05 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Reducing poverty by 30 per cent and child poverty by 50 per cent within five years — another idea championed by Dion;
Very admirable. Any language about just how they'll do this? If they raise those currently identified as "impoverished", say by raising their income (somehow) to the poverty line, does that not automatically raise the poverty line, putting others now in that category?

3Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 9:31 am

Anonymous

Yes it is called doing away with the old work hard to get what you want ethic .

4Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 10:16 am

Anonymous

Don't forget the most important policy initiative eh....they want to keep THE CARBON TAX.

Iggy is just a Dion clone with sneeky eyes and a questionable background I reckon.

5Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 10:16 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I can understand the notion of doing away with poverty but the challenge is finding those folks a way to EARN their way out not hand outs...

6Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 10:19 am

Anonymous

They want to find a cure for Cancer and make sure everyone gets clean water too I suppose....

The Lib Convention sounds like something a Miss America would spout...."I want to find a cure for world hunger..."

Gimme a break!! Rolling Eyes

7Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 12:50 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Way two boring or me! They reported that Dion spent 40 minuts on his speach and everyone left to go home cause it was late.

http://www.elansofas.com

8Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 2:18 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Liberal convention... some results Dolighan450

9Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Anonymous

Iggy is just a Dion clone with sneeky eyes and a questionable background I reckon.
Then Harper is a Bush clone with no forward vision . I reckon cheers

10Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 3:03 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Reducing poverty by 30 per cent and child poverty by 50 per cent within five years — another idea championed by Dion;"

I really dont like the idea of reducing child poverty. FAMILY poverty, sure... but kids are not supposed to work and kids are supposed to be in family's.

If the parents are not willing to work, the kids are never going to be out of poverty.

11Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 3:23 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I can understand the notion of doing away with poverty but the challenge is finding those folks a way to EARN their way out not hand outs...

Totally agreed.

I am intrigued by Iggy's support of life-long learning.

12Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Triniman wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:I can understand the notion of doing away with poverty but the challenge is finding those folks a way to EARN their way out not hand outs...

Totally agreed.

I am intrigued by Iggy's support of life-long learning.

Is that why they say "he'll never learn..."?

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

13Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 4:33 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Because that is what he did for a goodly chunk of his life. Then he taught.

I'm all for continuous education. Taking seminars relevant to your work or towards other work that intrigues one. I was fortunate to work for a company that supported continuous education. I wonder what portion of the average worker-bee proactively takes a course or two a year.

14Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Anonymous

Imo. these sorts of things (life-long learning, doing away with hunger, etc.) are motherhood issues and make for a very weak platform. Who is against life-long learning and doing away with hunger afterall?

It is important to note that they still cannot let go of dead issues /dumb ideas like the carbon tax. That's a ballot-question.

15Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

How can someone who has spent most of his adult life outside of Canada know what's best for Canada?

16Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Anonymous

That's why he speaks in platitudes and the party convention did nothing to change his image.

17Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Winklovic wrote:How can someone who has spent most of his adult life outside of Canada know what's best for Canada?

I totally agree. Plus he looks like an evil cartoon character.

18Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Did the Liberals have a group hug at the end of their convention as a sign of their commitment to make the world a better place and a show of solidarity behind their new leader who is only ind of Canadian?

19Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Anonymous

At least he is not a control freak , who is scared of all the party and spends the day kissing ass.

20Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:At least he is not a control freak , who is scared of all the party and spends the day kissing ass.

How do you know? Do you know him?

21Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Anonymous

No but He strikes me as more confident then Harper and maybe a better player at the game . After all that's what it is a game , Harper is a very nervous leader . His mannerisms show it .

22Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:No but He strikes me as more confident then Harper and maybe a better player at the game . After all that's what it is a game , Harper is a very nervous leader . His mannerisms show it .

He strikes me as a weird looking dude with very little confidence. But whatever floats your boat....

23Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 9:25 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Iggy does not give me the warm and fuzzies either. This is not a partisan comment on my part. There are a couple liberals that I believe present themselves much more dignified. Axworthy and Kennedy to name two.

And I have said Harper comes across as arrogant. Plus he is now well known as a control freak. But I did not think he came across that way when he first ran for office. I wonder how Iggy would come across were he fighting to keep a tenuous hold on a government after a few years.

It is way too early to assume Iggy is better or worse than Harper. Just different. But he is a convenient Canadian and that bothers me.

24Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 9:42 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Jean Chretien might have been a shyster and a huckster but in my opinion he was the last decent leader the liberals had. "Doctor FeelGood" was alright in my books!

25Liberal convention... some results Empty Re: Liberal convention... some results Sun May 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:Did the Liberals have a group hug at the end of their convention as a sign of their commitment to make the world a better place and a show of solidarity behind their new leader who is only ind of Canadian?

it wasn;t a hug freeman... check point 7 that they passed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum