the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Group To Investigate Police Complaints!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Manitoba has finally bowed to the necessity of using an external, civilian-led unit to investigate police shootings and allegations of grave misconduct against officers. Unfortunately, Justice Minister Dave Chomiak, in announcing the new reform Tuesday, ignored a core complaint about the way such investigations have been done -- that police should not be investigating their own. Mr. Chomiak, in concluding that working police officers should be seconded to the external unit to do its work, has made a serious error.
The decision, finally, to establish an independent body to investigate allegations of police wrongdoing and police shootings is the legacy of two egregious incidents of police misconduct. The first took place more than 20 years ago, when a Winnipeg police officer shot and killed aboriginal leader J.J. Harper, a man who had committed no offence but who was stopped by police looking for an aboriginal suspect. A subsequent inquiry found that the investigation, conducted by Winnipeg police, was bungled. The commission concluded police should not investigate their own members, that handing the job to an external, civilian body would also save the police from the perception they give their own preferential treatment. That advice was ignored.
Last year, the Doer government was pushed to recognize the value of independent investigations after an inquiry into the death of Crystal Taman, whose car was rammed from behind by a truck driven by an off-duty Winnipeg officer who had partied through the night with co-workers. The inquiry was appalled by the job done by the Winnipeg force's internal investigators, noting they treated officers who drank with Derek Harvey-Zenk with kid gloves, gathering useless information as a result.
Both scandals profoundly shook the faith Winnipeggers had in their police and gave rise to a public cynicism that unfairly paints the whole force. The affairs revealed the weaknesses of police investigating themselves, and underscored the value of the public perception of independence.
Mr. Chomiak said that the external investigations body will be led by a civilian director and use independent legal counsel. But he concluded that seconding working officers from their forces for the ground work of investigation is a necessity because "investigators don't sort of grow on trees."
Mr. Chomiak speaks like a man who has listened to those who argue that entrusting investigations to outsiders would be a mistake. This ignores what experience has shown. Winnipeggers learned from the J.J. Harper and the Taman scandals that police investigating police can and do screw up with huge consequences for police credibility.
The new unit, however, should establish its own training protocol so it can recruit from a wide pool of candidates who have the acumen the job requires.
This is how the Ontario's special investigations unit operates. It recognizes not just the value of being independent, but also the necessity of appearing to be independent.

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Police investigations unit a watered-down cop-out
Gordon Sinclair Jr.
I had waited and watched for more than 20 years, through two infamous police-related deaths and two public inquiries.
Waited and watched for one provincial government to finally set up a special investigations unit -- independent and free of any perceived bias -- that would relieve the Winnipeg Police Service of the impossible responsibility of investigating its own.
How much longer would it take before someone in authority began doing something to tear down the blue wall that separates the police and their closed culture from the public and their need for confidence in the justice system?
Then finally, this week, Justice Minister Dave Chomiak announced long-promised and anticipated changes to the Police Services Act.
But the Doer government still couldn't get it right.
Looks and sounds like what I've been waiting for since 1988, when native leader J.J. Harper was shot and killed by a police officer and the resulting Aboriginal Justice Inquiry recommended the creation of a "special investigations unit." It even looks and sounds like what a lot of you had been hoping for since last year when another provincial inquiry -- this time into the off-duty police-related traffic death of Crystal Taman -- similarly recommended an independent provincial special investigative unit.
But the special unit that's proposed in the new police act has a problem.
The government has failed to deliver a truly independent agency to look into police-related shootings or suspected serious wrongdoing.
Perceived and real police bias.
While the new police act proposes the unit be led by a civilian, it also states that current and former members of the Winnipeg Police Service can be hired as full-time members. And that those current members can go back and work for the Winnipeg Police Service when they finish working for the unit.
That's not being true to the spirit of independence that both the Aboriginal Justice Inquiry and the Taman inquiries recommended. Or, I would suggest, to what the public wanted.
A truly independent agency.
In a sense, nothing has really changed. Winnipeg police will still be investigating Winnipeg police.
The police union, and maybe even the police service, didn't want to surrender internal investigations to truly independent scrutiny. Chomiak copped out, if you will, and allowed Winnipeg cops into the independent investigations unit.
On some level, maybe even Chomiak knows it's not truly independent. On Friday, he referred to it as the "internal investigations unit" rather than "independent."
Chomiak has failed the most important test.
Doing what's necessary to truly restore public confidence in how police are investigated in this city.

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

i couldnt care less whether its cops or civilians doing the investigating, but i would like to see that any person on this unit go through the same basic training courses that a police officer goes through, just so that they at least have some idea of the way officers are trained to think and react to certain situations. too often a civilian just doesnt understand the different factors involved in a use of force incident or a shooting and i would hate to see cops hung out to dry who were just doing their job as they were trained.

http://www.cakefarter.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It goes without saying that any one investigating an officers behaviour, better understand that behaviour. I think the important thing is that there be an independent , no personal connection between those investigating to not taint the results. How you manage that is the problem.

Anonymous

Yes it is needed but as Adam X , these people better understand police work . The vast majority think they do but have no fricken clue . The Alexs of the world , come to mind . The police are not happy about this as it will only add more oversite to the job and probaly more time explaining to lay people why they do what they do .
Less time to police the streets more paperwork to fill out .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think it is paramount the new officers are extremely well trained investigators. Do any universities or colleges train proper investigation techniques? Or will the new officers have to have gone through an official police training academy?

The problem this unit will have is the continued appearance of police officers investigating police officers. And we all know how well that works don't we?

What is the answer? Where do we find the experienced well trained IMPARTIAL officers that don't follow the blue line code by rote? We NEED unbiased and professional officers in this unit.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

G.O.M. I cann't grt you a thumbs up at all . Doesn't Sunday at 12AM count as a new day? Maybe I should just leave things? Not put back what was taken away? Am I forgiven?

Regarding impartial ,expert , personnel to investigate, the only thing is to put the trust with whomever you choose. They are going to be retired, maybe P.I.'s, but more than likely sstill with connections to the active police.
Do you bring in police from other provinces and hire them full time so the connections aren't their?
The have done that with independent prosecutors. Has that worked? nyone know?
Maybe installing cameras on every active policeman's head, patrol car, all outside streets, all inside interrogations are the answer?
I don't believe that the % of complaints is anything to worry about, but there will allways be that small problem area with abuse from police who simply get frustrated with all the advantages given to the "bad guys", and take it upon themselves to abuse someone.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

rosencrentz wrote:G.O.M. I cann't grt you a thumbs up at all . Doesn't Sunday at 12AM count as a new day? Maybe I should just leave things? Not put back what was taken away? Am I forgiven?
All is forgiven.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Lying , lyar!! dirty rotten commie!!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

speaking of dirty rotton commie bastards...

LOL I dreamt that the commies and finally taken over the city ,,, and me and a bunch of youguys had enough of the commie bastards so we grabbed a bunch of quarters and started throwing them at all the dirtie rotton commie bastards.. organizing the "parades" in support of the leader./.....the chant was... Give us our city back you stupid commie pack...

LOL one of the more unusual dream I had lately.

Anonymous

It was produced by Captian Morgan was it .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL no no... no booze at all yesterday ( other then waht was left in the system from the day before )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum