the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

NDP easily keeps Manitoba seats in by-elections

+2
Goth_chic
grumpy old man
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Canadian Press

March 25, 2009

WINNIPEG -- Manitoba's NDP government easily retained its seats in two by-elections last night, including a race involving long-time member of Parliament Bill Blaikie.

In the Winnipeg riding of Elmwood, Mr. Blaikie solidly trounced his rivals, Conservative candidate Adrian Schulz, a young entrepreneur, and Liberal Regan Wolfrom, a small business owner. With more than two-thirds of polls reporting, Mr. Blaikie received 1,416 votes, compared with 620 for Mr. Schulz and 563 for Mr. Wolfrom. James Beddome of the Greens received 128 votes

It was a similar situation in The Pas, where the NDP's Frank Whitehead, former chief of the Opaskwayak Cree Nation, handily defeated Tory Edna Nabess and Liberal Maurice Berens.

Both seats were cakewalks for the NDP in the 2007 general election.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Manitoban's don't seem to get it. Shame.

Add in the double-dipping Blaikie and more's the tragedy. This knob and his counterpart "swap" seats and will enjoy his federal pension, his MPP salary, and eventually his provincial pension.

I ordinarily would not worry one wit about a pensioner working while collecting a pension. More power to him/her.

But here it looks like Malloway and Blaikie took advantage of Manitoban's rabid-like penchant for electing NDP to double-dip on the government pension teats.

Anonymous

Yes this is as shamfull as the mess the NDP have made of this here province . Sad the poor keep electing them as they are the party of the poor .

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

They are the party of the stupid.

Anonymous

So now Blakie is a Double-Dipper-Nipper eh. Shame. The guy's way, way too greedy to be a Preacher imo.

For all the many years he's been sucking at the public teat, there is nothing that he actually accomplished. What a fcuken joke!!!

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:So now Blakie is a Double-Dipper-Nipper eh. Shame. The guy's way, way too greedy to be a Preacher imo.

For all the many years he's been sucking at the public teat, there is nothing that he actually accomplished. What a fcuken joke!!!

Comrade Blaikie....commie bastard!

Anonymous

Good Post! lol!

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

A Double Dipping Nipper Commie Bastard.

Anonymous

A smart commie bastard we would all do it if we could come on .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No, I would not do it. Its just wrong, anyone with a grain of integrity can see that its wrong.

Anonymous

Tsk tsk tsk....speak for yourself Pav. It's very wrong.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ethics are not the strong suit of too many politicians.

Anonymous

Yes morally but not legally and you have no one to blame but yourselves as this has been open to all in politics since day one . If you don't like it change it other wise you condone it. I agree it is wrong but it is not , if you follow .

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Plenty of my retired military friends double-dip as civillians. No rules against it. Good for them, I say.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Military people would need to as thier pension is not nearly as generous as an MPs pension.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I take absolutely NO blame for this horsesh1te Pav. I have volunteered for municipal, provincial and federal elections./ I've written to my mayor, my MPP and my MLA. I written to other MPs, MLAs and councilors that I feel have done or said stupid things.

No. I have only them to blame.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Triniman wrote:Plenty of my retired military friends double-dip as civillians. No rules against it. Good for them, I say.
As I said ordinarily I've absolutely no problem with most retirees taking on additional employment after they retire and while collecting their pension.

But if an army captain QUIT the army to join the airforce to qualify for a second pension I might have an issue with it.

Anonymous

Yes but the sytem has not changed and we as voters have not pushed it so it is there , hell no different for patronage appointments of ex ministers to comfy jobs . Yes grumpy you and I have alloweed this crap so stand up and face it we are to blame .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Nope. Won't accept it. You can but don't put that on me.

Anonymous

Bill Blakie is only doing and getting what he is able to do because we the voter have not taken the time to say he could not . The code of ethics committee has no public person sitting on it , it is run by politicians that we have elected .

Gee we sure b1tch about the police policing them selves , why not the biggest cost to us the goverment . Yes it can change but the sytem has to first and we, you and I have to demand it .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Gee we sure b1tch about the police policing them selves , why not the biggest cost to us the goverment . Yes it can change but the sytem has to first and we, you and I have to demand it"

kind of one of the reasons we are thinking of the Manitoba Party

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My God, what a "throw up your hands and stick your head up your ass" attitude. Most military personnel retire at a relatively early age, and have years of productive work life ahead of them. Its just not the same.
Your attitude Pav is just because they do it, makes it OK. What crap!

Anonymous

What breaks me up is the NDP's image of being made up of the regular joe, common man sort of deal, whereas the reality is that Blakie is will be in the upper 5% income bracket I reckon...sucking about $200K I guess, out of our economy.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WAY more than that JTF. His pension and MLA salary combined I recon will far exceed that.

Anonymous

Your attitude Pav is just because they do it, makes it OK. What crap!

And where did I say it was Okay ! Suggest you quuite putting your words in my mouth as I ve grown very tired of it.

Yes it can change but the sytem has to first and we, you have to demand it .

Is that me saying it is okay read before you post anything about what I say. Freeman

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum