the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

a nice twist on the sex offenders registry laws.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

commit a robery with a child present... that constitutes false imprisonment of a minor.. and slaps you on the state's sex offender list
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories//2009/03/15/sex_offender_law_georgia.html

too bad they are trying to change the law to not include those cases...

Anonymous

How on earth is a robbery with a child present considered a sexual offense?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Yeah...I'd have to protest this one.

I could understand the endangerment of a child...but it has nothing to do with a sexual offense.

Maybe if the registry were a "child endangerment" or even "child predator"...but as long as it's a "sexual offender" list...it should not be included.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hopefully it would start to make perps think twice about ever EVER committing crimes.

Anonymous

LOL....and this is coming from Georgia...a state where you can marry your cousin.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:hopefully it would start to make perps think twice about ever EVER committing crimes.

No...it just belittles the victims who HAVE actually been assaulted sexually.

It makes the actual sex offender less "offensive" because everyone is getting charged with the crime instead of singling out those select few degenerates.

I'm not trying to condone committing crimes, and especially with children present...just trying to point out it's NOT a sexual offense...and should not be treated as such.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

what is a sexual offense?

hell nowadays it can be considered sexual harrasement and assualt for whistling at a woman.

but back to the topic... what if the title was Dangerous offenders list.. and it followed the exact same rules as a sexual offender list?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

then i'd be for it...as the rules would be applied differently.

I could understand if the criminal had been targeting a child in the attack...but just because one happens to be around does not make them a hazard to children directly...just to society in general.

the cases presented in the link are (of course) the extreme exception. Of a couple of guys who actually (may have) turned their lives around...or are trying to. And, fortunately for them, they did not actually kill anyone in the process of the crime...or I'd be arguing for a reason a bullet wasn't used instead of a sex offenders list.

My biggest concern with the sex offenders registry, is that it doesn't help the victims. Doesn't actually protect the public from the perceived targets...as too many resources are wasted tracking those who are NOT sexual predators, allowing those who are more freedom to recommit offenses.

A Dangerous Offenders list might require less tracking, and provide more versatility for training and employment...with better odds of rehabilitation (though still low)...because of the allowance of working in a wider range of positions.

Technically, a sexual offender would not be allowed to even work at McDonalds.
1) They are allowed to hire people under the age of 18.
2) Those with playgrounds host children's parties, or have children present.

A guy robbing a DQ is probably not much of a threat there...though I'm not sure I want him making my Big Mac. Wink.

Anonymous

To hell with the list put them in jail or hang them in the case of children , hell take the time to be responable to the society you live in . There are far to many walking the streets cause people are to chicken s### to do something about it . If you want to have sex with a 4 yr old you are sick and should be dead . End of subject IMO .
If the peep commits a crime while the kid is with him , then he has endangered the child and should searve extra time . Not go on some list .

Last edited by Pavolo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

In the case in the article, it sounds like the guy has done his time. He's 36 and was convicted when he was 17. Putting him on a sexual offenders list is crap.

On the other hand, our Manitoba Child Abuse Registry is crap also. You need not even be charged let alone convicted and some bureaucrat can add you to the list. As far as working at McD's, I would hope that its their policy to check all employees through the registry.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum