the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

What to do with your old toilet?

+6
cherenkov
FlyingRat
grumpy old man
Deank
IG Guy
JT Estoban
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What to do with your old toilet? Empty What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:38 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Like many people this past weekend, we took advantage of the $50 rebate, and other "incentives" and got ourselves one of those fancy dual flush thrones.

We only got one, and so did my folks. We'll be taking possession of their "old" unit, and using it to replace the ailing unit in the basement. The new one will replace the ailing unit upstairs.

The question, what to do with the old unit? Does the City, or Province have some kind of "disposal" outlet or location for the old unit?

It's nothing that Habitat would want, if I don't want it, means it's broke or almost there already. And I'm not redneck enough to use them as a planters in the front lawn... Question

2What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:41 am

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

put it in the front yard and throw some plants in it. lol

3What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:44 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

good question. I suggest firing off a message to the minister for the environment and the Freep and sun, since MB is behind the replace your toilet I would assume that they have a plan in place. Sending the letter to the Freep ensures that the rest of the province gets the reply as well. If no plan in place, this will trigger one to be implemented.

But.. just how busted is your toilet.. unless its one of those old old old single piece units, most of the parts are probably still good to go even if you dont think they are.

post a pic!

4What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Break it into tiny pieces and flush it down the new toilet...

5What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:54 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

It's not so much that it's broken....well, some of the internal guts are brittle and would need to be replaced. But it's mostly the finish inside the bowl. It's flaked away/been scrubbed off so it's impossible to keep clean. And all the "jets" around the inside of the bowl are plugged with red rust like particles.

We've got some strange red particle build up from our water....not sure where it comes from. All the lines in the house are copper... time to move!

6What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:54 am

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

I do beleive I read something about what to do with the old toilets when they first announced that they would have this rebate day... I'll see if I can find it again.

7What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Red particles? Iron in the water?

8What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:57 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

All good advice so far, except for the flower pot idea... Razz

I wanted to ask here first, before sending off any inquiring correspondence in case a disposal plan is already available.

I wonder if the City could collect all the old toilets, crush them up and use them in road construction....pot hole filler anyone? Smile

9What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:59 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Looks like it might be iron.

I have to flush out the screens in the taps every month or so, otherwise they get clogged.

Condensation on the ceiling in the shower (no exhaust fan, no open window....I know, I need to get one in there...I'll do it eventually) turns orange/red. Luckily the bathroom paint is high gloss and easy to wipe down.

10What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:00 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

What to do with your old toilet? Toilet-recycle
actually... they do that in other areas

http://www.h2ouse.org/tour/details/element_action_contents.cfm?elementID=5812B5A5-E0BE-4D14-A202C8DAE8CE491F&actionID=5A43C1DF-19A8-4290-A7A4B71654ABA746

The best way to dispose of an old toilet is to try to recycle it. The first thing to do is to call your city’s recycling center or water conservation office and ask if a recycling program exists. As an alternative, call the listings in the yellow pages under “Recycle” or “Concrete”. Toilet recycling facilities typically crush the porcelain and use it to make concrete for roads or sidewalks.

11What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Minister of Water Stewardship actually.. not environment.. I have left a message and someone will be getting back to me

12What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 am

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

I can't seem to find it. I thought I saw it on this site http://www.gov.mb.ca/seeinggreen/watersmart.html But I cant seem to see it there.

13What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:28 am

Anonymous

They say to just take them to Brady Road.

Why not smash them up and leave them in your garbage container then?

14What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Some local artist/activist should be collecting them to build a sculpture. Place it at Higgins and Main as a monument to the porta-potty wars.

15What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ummm, leave it there and you might get the kind of art you really don't want. That said, better there than in the planters at Winnipeg Square.

16What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:32 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

There has to be someone who recycle these.

shouldn;t there be a toilet dump?

What a Face

17What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:33 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Boo! Just bad is all...

18What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:34 am

Anonymous

Habitat for Humanity will take them.

....but they sure aren't the same as they were a few years ago.

They're just another retail outlet now...very overpriced for the junk they're selling.

19What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:07 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

so how are you guys liking these toilets? my girlfriend and I have tossed around the idea of getting one. would you guys recommend them and what brands did you purchase?

20What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I got the one from McDermit Lumber that was also on sale that day. It was in the flyer...$289 for the dual flush toilet, -$50 Provincial Program and -$50 from McDermit....they ran out of toilets (Go figure) so they were also givng out ran cheques that included both discounts. The toilet package came complete with everything, wax ring, braded water line, ect.

So you're getting a $200 toilet for $89 plus tax.

Home Depot had something similar, but that place was a zoo.

21What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:14 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Been under the weather for most of the weekend, so I'll have mine installed by the end of the week.

22What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

89 BUX!!!(plus tax) GOD DAMN IT! i knew i shoulda went...

23What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Anonymous

Does the lower volume flush push tissue through the bowl? I'm thinking of my daughters using TP by the roll for a pee it seems....

24What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Anonymous

IG Guy wrote:89 BUX!!!(plus tax) GOD DAMN IT! i knew i shoulda went...
Go back and say you've lost your rain-ck.

25What to do with your old toilet? Empty Re: What to do with your old toilet? Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:36 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:
IG Guy wrote:89 BUX!!!(plus tax) GOD DAMN IT! i knew i shoulda went...
Go back and say you've lost your rain-ck.

I wonder if that would work... lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum