the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who Went To Church on Sunday??

+12
Triniman
tick
Freeman
Electrician
grumpy old man
eastsider
grumpyrom
Time Lord
AGEsAces
Goth_chic
SMW
rosencrentz
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:43 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What Church?
What time?
What was the result?
Enjoyable or not?

http://www.elansofas.com

2Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

I stood at the corner of Church and Main on Sunday. Does that count?

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

3Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I go for Dim Sum on Sundays...does that count? It is sort of like a religion...religion of goodness!

4Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:52 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

aIRT mATTRESSOR- ONLY IF YOU WERETHERE IN THE EVENING

5Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

My family went to church every Sunday.
Time varied depending on where we lived, sometimes we had to be there by 9am, sometimes it started at 1pm.
We went to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons).
Growing up it was good. Made friends. It's a family-oriented religion, so there was plenty of interaction with people my own age.
I was active till I was about 20, then I started asking questions...and not getting answers...just told to "follow my faith".

Over those years though, I had many friends of varying religions, and my parents allowed me to go with their families to various church meetings. To "educate" myself and learn.

Of all the religions I've attended, I'd still recommend a Mormon church, though if you'd like less preaching and "judgment", I'd recommend the Unitarian Universalists who are more about "accept everyone".

http://www.photage.ca

6Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

My visits to church are for funeral and weddings. None mine.

Never been religious, though I was sent to Sunday school as a kid. I'm now sure this was my parents chance to be in an empty house...

My family used to catholic but became protestants. (1930's) Why? As members of the British army you had to be protestant for promotions. I'm sure this was not a written policy, but true none the less. In Scotland you were either Catholic or protestant and that determined which school you went to and which soccer team you supported. The idiocy of this is probably what keeps me out of churches to this day.

http://www.jacsport.com

7Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:My family went to church every Sunday.
".

And yet based on some of your threads, apparently you still learnt nothing about compasion for fellow humans.

I go to church as little as possible because I'm bored to tears when I'm there and don't want to be a hypocrite that forces my self to go every Sunday, then day dreams about not being there while I'm there. I'd rather try to be the best person I can be, and hope that's good enough for God.

8Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Anonymous

Time Lord wrote:
My family used to catholic but became protestants. (1930's) Why? As members of the British army you had to be protestant for promotions. I'm sure this was not a written policy, but true none the less. In Scotland you were either Catholic or protestant and that determined which school you went to and which soccer team you supported. The idiocy of this is probably what keeps me out of churches to this day.

Ahh yes,

The CELTIC (Catholic) - RANGERS (Protestant) rivallary.
You should read a book called "How Soccer Explains The World". It has a whole chapter devoted to the rivallry. Interesting enough, it tackles many issues in other chapters including anti-semitism, and right-wing nationalism. Very interesting read...

9Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:20 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

HurtinAlbertan wrote:
Time Lord wrote:

Ahh yes,

You should read a book called "How Soccer Explains The World". It has a whole chapter devoted to the rivallry. Interesting enough, it tackles many issues in other chapters including anti-semitism, and right-wing nationalism. Very interesting read...

Is there a chapter about the German/Allies game?
My understanding is the movie Victory was based on a "true" story about that game.

http://www.photage.ca

10Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My parents dragged us to Sunday school till I was about 5...my Dad then decided to forget Church and have Sunday as a day of rest and relaxation. I have never taken my kids to church and don't plan on it!

11Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:42 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I'm with Timelord on this issue.......weddings and funerals only. I practise my religion at home, don't need a church for that. The last time I was in church for a Sunday service I told the minister about my fathers love for horses and all animals in general, then I asked him if my father was in heaven with his beloved horses. He looked me squarely in the eye and said that animals don't have souls, therefore they cannot be in heaven. And that was the end of my church going.........if indeed there is a heaven I'm sure animals are there too Very Happy

12Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

grumpyrom wrote:I'd rather try to be the best person I can be, and hope that's good enough for God.
How's that working for ya?

13Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:46 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Could not agree with you more eastsider! Based upon my experience with humans and animals... Heh heh I'd say animals are one up on us.

14Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

I can't even remember where I was yesterday...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

15Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

HurtinAlbertan wrote:
Ahh yes,

Thanks for that. I knew it was Celtics and Rangers but couldn't remember which way around the RC vs Protestants went.

16Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:53 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:I'd rather try to be the best person I can be, and hope that's good enough for God.

Pretty darn good actually. I figure if I treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated it should be good enough assuming God is the kind loving God of the New Testament and not the vengefull God of the Old Testament.

17Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

For an interesting take on religion:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/religulous/

18Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Anonymous

grumpyrom wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:

Pretty darn good actually. I figure if I treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated it should be good enough assuming God is the kind loving God of the New Testament and not the vengefull God of the Old Testament.

amen to that.... Good Post!

19Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:02 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

"I figure if I treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated it should be good enough"

I agree, but why does anyone need an imaginary friend to help with that way of thinking. Having said that, I have to hope your not into sadomasochism!

20Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Anonymous

So...are you being nice to others because you want to please God, or are doing it because you love other people?

21Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:17 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I do it because I feel in the grand scheme of things it's the right thing to do. Call it "the golden rule", karma or whatever you like....I just feel it's the right way thing to do.

And you guys are lucky I'm not into S&M....lol.

22Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The God I know lets me talk to him anytime, anywhere, not just on Sunday (or the Sabbath) He lets me make my choices and then we talk about it after. Sometimes, I screw up, but he just tells me to try it a better way next time.

23Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:18 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Last Sunday I went to the Berean Baptist Church, at 225 Sutton Avenue in North Kildonan , just off Henderson Highway, where Pastor Chris Haley was giving their 10:30 A.M. service. There is a later 6PM and a Wed at 6P.M. service.
To get in I had to shake hands with 3 different people , as a very nice welcome to the service.
The whole setvice was very enjoyable, including the bible reading and message that you will be saved by your acceptance of Jesus Christ.
I never got to take any religious lessons as a youngster, so I feel really dumb when it comes to understanding all the different religions.
I do not understand how there can be 26 different Churches in the yellow pages, when there is one God.
I do not know if Budhists, Christians, Muslims, Jews all believe in the same God? I ssume that they do not!
The pastor told me that the new testament is just a progression from the old, and that is something that someone in an earlier post gave the opposite view.

24Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Anonymous

If there was more than one God, wouldn't they be fighting with each other, and if there are more than one God, is there a Boss God?

25Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Empty Re: Who Went To Church on Sunday?? Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

I wonder if they run an election for Prime God Minister...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum