the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

OTTAWA - The federal government is moving to strip 1,800 people of their Canadian citizenship after concluding they became citizens using fraudulent means, QMI Agency has learned.

The massive investigation, unprecedented in its scale, involved the RCMP and the federal department of citizenship and immigration.

Since Confederation in 1867, the federal government has only ever revoked the citizenship of 67 people. Now it's ready to strip the citizenship of 1,800, although it will not be a quick process.

The 1,800 who are being targeted by the federal government will have the right to challenge the accusation in federal court, a process the department of justice itself says is complex and could take years to resolve.

And, throughout those legal proceedings, the affected individual will continue to enjoy all the right and privileges of Canadian citizenship.

Those caught in the investigation have now or will very shortly be informed the government intends to revoke their Canadian citizenship.

"These people are costing taxpayers a lot of money," said a senior government official who had knowledge of the investigation. "And they are undermining public support for immigration. We don't want to allow fraud like this."

Over the next day or so, the government is expected to provide details on the investigation and some information on where those accused of obtaining a fraudulent citizenship live.

Among other things, those who become Canadian citizens enjoy access to Canada's health care system and publicly funded benefits such as employment insurance and old age security.

Naturalized Canadians ­- those born in another country but who immigrate here and become citizens ­- can have their citizenship revoked if convicted of fraud in relation to their citizenship application or if their original admission to Canada as an immigrant was completed using fraudulent documents. Immigrants who knowingly conceal material circumstances in connection with their entry into Canada also risk revocation of citizenship.

BY DAVID AKIN, PARLIAMENTARY BUREAU CHIEF

2Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Should be a simple court case, heard at the highest level and done.

3Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:41 am

Anonymous

...or pass an Order-In-Council (law) saying that all people would have to remain out of the country until the matter is settled....kinda' backwards to what it is now.

4Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I just love the other case right now where the guy is trying to stop from being deported.. after being convicted not once, not twice but three times of increasingly worse crimes.

He is saying.. my original time for the first crime was too strict because the judge never took into account giving me two years would have me deported maybe.

dude.. DONT COMMIT CRIMES!!!!!!

5Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 am

Anonymous

Most of those 1,800 have never been in Canada.

300 of them had the same office address given as their residence.

Only 3 or 4 'immigration consultants' were involved.

Time to tighten our immigration policy BIG TIME!!!

6Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Time to fire whoever allowed them in to begin with

7Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:Most of those 1,800 have never been in Canada.

300 of them had the same office address given as their residence.

Only 3 or 4 'immigration consultants' were involved.

Time to tighten our immigration policy BIG TIME!!!

The 300 with office/home the same...probably can defend...if they are running a home-based business.

Not on my immigration papers, but in certain financial applications...I do list my home/business as the same...as I run a home-based business.

http://www.photage.ca

8Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:41 am

Anonymous

300 people "living" in the same office??? Good luck defending that position.

Dean. Those people have not set foot in Canada apparently. They were canadianized by a couple of crooked "immigration consultants" it seems.

9Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:47 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Where the hell is the good investigative journalism that would help us to avoid the speculation?

I know I probably understood the 300 home/office comment to mean 300 different home/office applicants. Given what is now coming out it would seem more likely that it is 300 identical home/office applicants.

10Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:40 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well quite frankly no one should EVER be given Canadian citizenship without living here and whoever allowed it, should be fired and thrown in jail

11Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:Where the hell is the good investigative journalism that would help us to avoid the speculation?

I know I probably understood the 300 home/office comment to mean 300 different home/office applicants. Given what is now coming out it would seem more likely that it is 300 identical home/office applicants.

heh.. Winnipeg used to have similar houses back in the day. Wasnt there a two room house in point douglas that was supposedly home to 26 people?

12Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Empty Re: Feds bust 1,800 phony Canadians Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:10 am

Anonymous

In a later interview, Kenney said the vast majority of the 1,800 allegedly fraudulent citizenships were facilitated by three or four immigration consultants.
The consultants marketed their services to people living primarily in overseas tax havens or in certain Middle Eastern countries, where Kenney said a Canadian passport holder can earn double the salary.

During an extensive two-year investigation with the RCMP, Kenney said his department employed sophisticated computer technology to identify suspicious patterns in citizenship applications. Among other things, it uncovered one office address in Mississauga, Ont., which was listed as the home residence for more than 300 applicants.
"We started to put together the patterns of questionable activities, questionable addresses, and we chased this stuff down and found that much of it was facilitated by the same handful of consultants."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/Feds-to-revoke-1800-allegedly-fraudulent-citizenships.html

Sorry, I should have given some links.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum