the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sun story angers CBC

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sun story angers CBC Empty Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:00 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Me thinks he protesteth too much... This is an LTE from the Canadian Bloodsucking Broadcasting Corporation after a piece Sun Media published. Seems this knob's English language counterpart spent $85k on similar expenditures in two years.

Anyone else believe this is another fine example of CBC being out of touch of reality? Sell them!

Re "$80,000 in expenses," (Sun newspapers, Le Journal de Montreal, Nov. 18): I would like to respond to the inaccurate, out-of-context information contained in this piece and ask that you publish this reply in all Sun Media papers and any related properties where this information appeared.

The article has the following lead: "The executive vice-president for French services at the taxpayer-funded CBC is claiming almost $80,000 a year in expenses for theatre tickets, meals and travel."

This sentence insinuates the entire amount was spent for the sole benefit of Radio-Canada Executive Vice-President Sylvain Lafrance.

Wanting to paint as extravagant a picture as possible, the writer took the liberty of combining personal expenses incurred by Mr. Lafrance in the conduct of his duties with corporate expenses covering activities for which he is responsible as vice-president.

Take, for example, the contribution to the funding of the Orchestre symphonique de Montreal or other charity events in the arts community. The article's headline and content suggest these expenses are Mr. Lafrance's alone, because they are lumped together in the same $80,000 amount.

These expenditures, which are not incurred by Mr. Lafrance personally, are authorized by him with an eye to managing public resources responsibly. Indeed, centralizing authority in the vice-president's office ensures that Radio-Canada takes part in events where our presence is not merely fundamental, but also falls under our mandate as public broadcaster.

The aim of centralizing approval for these expenditures is to ensure we limit our outings to the ones that are truly essential. The reader should have been informed Mr. Lafrance's duty and entertainment expenses for 2006 were in fact $3,433, which appears entirely reasonable in light of the responsibilities he holds.

The article suggests the expenses attributed to Sylvain Lafrance are of a dubious nature. Radio-Canada is the country's largest news, arts and entertainment organization, with over 4,000 employees who give their all day after day. The vice-president is in the best position to judge the appropriateness of ad hoc expenditures for business dinners or modest receptions to recognize employees' hard work after major undertakings such as Olympics coverage. These expenditures represent good investments in our staff relations. Out of a budget of nearly $500 million, it is surprising the article never once mentioned the fact the vice-president spent a mere $7,661 on employee receptions.

As a board member of TV5Monde and Radios francophones publiques, Mr. Lafrance has to travel abroad at least five times a year. It should be noted it is at the request and as a representative of the Canadian government that he attends TV5Monde meetings. In all respects, his involvement in these various boards pays dividends for Canadian public broadcasting.

I am very proud of our record of tightly managing the resources at our disposal. That is why is it so upsetting to read such a sensationalist, innuendo-filled piece. We hope the publication of this reply will allow readers to get a more accurate picture of the situation and put the article in its proper context.

Hubert T. Lacroix

President and CEO

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

2Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:03 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Sun Media's response...
We beg to differ

The fact remains the French-language service of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation spent almost $80,000 in one year on theatre tickets, fundraising dinners, staff receptions and foreign travel.

Yesterday we reported the executive v-p of CBC's English service spent $85,000 over two years on similar expenses.

We believe the public has a right to know how a Crown corporation uses public funds, approved each year by Parliament, especially at a time of growing economic distress. The CBC board chairman's recent complaint that Access to Information legislation has rendered the broadcaster "vulnerable" to its competitors is inappropriate and silly. Every year Sun Media reporters file hundreds of Access requests looking into the spending habits and behaviour of many Crown corporations and government departments. Being a media organization does not exempt the CBC from legitimate scrutiny of its actions by Canadians.

Glenn Garnett

Vice-President, Editorial

Sun Media Corporation

3Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:44 am

Anonymous

Check this out...

These expenditures, which are not incurred by Mr. Lafrance personally, are authorized by him with an eye to managing public resources responsibly. Indeed, centralizing authority in the vice-president's office ensures that Radio-Canada takes part in events where our presence is not merely fundamental, but also falls under our mandate as public broadcaster.
Nice spin...he says he is mandated to spend!! LOL

4Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Actually what falls under their mandate as a public anything is to be VERY judicious where they spend their money. Even this a$$holes letter to the editor makes me question Lacroix' judgment. Surely he understands their will be a backlash to his thin-skinned response.

5Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:28 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Here's the Sun story:
http://www.ottawasun.com/News/National/2008/11/18/7447001-sun.html

Each time Lafrance visited Paris he stayed in a hotel that cost about $450 per night. The CBC refused to release the name of the hotel but Pichette insisted it was "absolutely not a luxury hotel."

Wonder if that price included late night "room service."

6Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:34 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I can say this about Paris hotels: they are TINY and they are are expensive. When I was there about 5 years ago the room was the size of a large closet and the rate was over $500/night. You'll discover hotels in Europe are very expensive.

7Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:12 pm

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

On a recent trip I stayed in a decent hotel in central Paris for ~$250/night. Paris is no doubt expensive, and there are many hotels that cost $500 or more, but with minimal effort he certainly could have found something cheaper unless he booked at the last minute.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

8Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Anonymous

I have a very hard time with the CBC donating money to other organizations. How can that be justified?

9Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:46 pm

Anonymous

It is the CBC it doe's what ever it wants especially in Quebec after all gotta kiss there ass when you want to win the election . Any one who thinks this total waste of tax dollars should continue needs to quit crying over the CMHR as it is of some benefit the CBC is a waste of money in this day and age , When you can tune in any channel in the world pretty well on a dish.
If the french want a channel of their own pay for it I don't want to.

10Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:26 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:I have a very hard time with the CBC donating money to other organizations. How can that be justified?

I'm not saying I agree with what's happening...but I can tell you WHY it's happening.

The
Crown Corporations each have a set budget every year for "marketing and
publicity". So they buy volumes of "promotional materials" in order to
spend that budget (and because it's actually cheaper to buy 10000 of an
item than 5000 in some cases).

If they DON'T spend the entire
budget, then the following year (budget) it is reduced by a percentage
scale. If they go over their budget a few years in a row, then
consideration is made to increase the spending.

Typically
though, the spending is focused on local businesses to help put the
money back into the economy. For example, I know the sales-rep who
supplies the production materials for Manitoba Hydro & Manitoba
Lotteries...who owns a local company and was born & raised in
Manitoba.

http://www.photage.ca

11Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:28 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Heh heh. I won't repeat my response to this post AA. But what I said elsewhere applies here...

12Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:30 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

as does my response to your response Smile

http://www.photage.ca

13Sun story angers CBC Empty Re: Sun story angers CBC Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:53 am

Anonymous

If ever there was a slush fund disguised as a legitimate expense, this is it...imo anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum