the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

FFS How am I going to watch TV now?

+8
eViL tRoLl
Bartron
grumpyrom
Northlands
Deank
grumpy old man
EdWin
MissFae
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 am

MissFae

MissFae

http://torrentfreak.com/fed-busted-movie-site-informed-of-investigation-months-ago-100701/

Ninjavideo is down and I cried a little. I guess I'm going to have to spend summer outside instead of watching TV Sad I ope they make it back up for the fall lineup.

2FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Anonymous

It's nice to see that something's being done finally.

3FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 pm

MissFae

MissFae

I think it's sad. They are seeing something that has been an asset to them as a threat. Their position is outdated and misinformed (according to a US government study the effects of piracy are not necessarily the billions of dollars in lost revenue that the entertainment industry likes to claim) but they persist with blowing more money on lawsuits than they are going to save themselves in the long run. It's unfortunate that they can't seem to adapt to modern technology and societal trends.

With the sheer volume of absolute garbage out there these days, I refuse to pay to see a movie until I know it's good. If I really like something though, I'll go out and buy it. Without the opportunity to sample music and movies, I really couldn't care less about them. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. So what the entertainment industry is going to get from this is lost revenue from me and many other people. Rather than forcing me to buy more with money I don't have and couldn't afford to spend anyways, they are going to lose whatever it is I was willing and able to spend in the past.

4FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:03 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

How about picking up a book that interests you and reading it, or is that not a cool thing to do these days?

5FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Can peeps do both?

6FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I never said they couldn't.

7FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

redtube.com solves all your movie watching needs. And its movie owner submitted so free all the time.

8FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Anonymous

EdWin wrote:How about picking up a book that interests you and reading it, or is that not a cool thing to do these days?

It only would be cool if you stole the book eh.

9FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Illegal movie website gets taken down. No real surprise here. I guess what some don't appreciate , is that there are a lot of people doing the "grunt work " when it comes to making movies and music or other forms of entertainment that don't grab anywhere near the glory that the big stars/artists do. They've all put in to make a product and should be compensated for it. If you don't think you will like it, don't watch.

This whole, we should be able to try something out for an undetermined amount of time to see if we like it attitude wouldn't fly in other industries. It's bad enough people try to eat a whole meal in a restaurant and then turn around and say they don't want to pay for it because they didn't agree with how it tasted. We can't pull this kind of thing anywhere else. Why does stealing movies or music seem less illegal than other things? It's one thing if we own an album and make another copy for ourselves ( which there are some real weird controls on ) but its another to be downloading these things en masse.

10FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:23 pm

MissFae

MissFae

Well, I certainly don't DL movies en masse, but I do watch all my TV on ninja because I like the selection, the ability to watch really old stuff that doesn't air anymore and isn't available on DVD and catch things that are generally under-publicized and I might not have heard of them otherwise. It also saves me the hassle of dealing with fluctuating TV schedules that seem to be all over the place and unpredictable sometimes. I don't have to worry about missing anything because if it airs, it will show up in the lineup. If I miss it, I can go back and watch when I see it's up. These are things having a DVR won't solve. It also makes it possible for me to watch TV on my computer and let the kids have the TV in the living room.

11FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

MissFae my advice would be to switch to newsgroups if you really want to replace your TV/PVR.

I pay $12/month for my unlimited newsgroup acces from Astraweb. Download a free newsreader app with NZB support, I use Grabit. Then all you need is an NZB indexing site. I use Nzbmatrix (a one time fee of $10) for all my newsgroup searches. Works WAY, WAY better than torrent sites. Typical download speeds max out my connection at 700-800Kb/s.

You can typically find ANY tv show within an hour or 2 of it's original air time. For instance I DL'ed the new episode of BBC Top Gear on Sunday exactly 2 hours after it finished airing live.I wont bother mentioning stuff like PPV's, Movies etc. that you can find.

No bothering with share ratio's or streaming video like bittorrent or ninjavideo. Just get what you want, when you want it.

12FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:53 pm

MissFae

MissFae

Thanks Grumpy Very Happy

13FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Your very welcome. FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Icon_biggrin

I forgot to suggest that a media player like the WDTV Live is an excellent addon if you don't already own a laptop with HDMI out for connecting to your TV. I've had the WDTV for about 2 years now, and it's the best thing since sliced bread for getting video from the PC to the TV easily and cheaply ($100).

14FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

I've always been interested in trying newsgroups. I don't have any trouble finding content with torrents, but the speeds are horrible.

15FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:18 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I dropped Bittorrent last time Demonoid went down and I don't regret it one bit. $12/month is well worth it for guaranteed download speeds, and not having to hassle with maintaining share ratios. Not to mention keeping my privacy by NOT sharing peer to peer.

Try it for a month Bart and you'll never go back. I maybe use BT once or twice a month now, usually only for any tv shows that may be up on Eztv before the newsgroups (which is hardly ever).

16FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:36 am

Anonymous

Northlands wrote:Illegal movie website gets taken down. No real surprise here. I guess what some don't appreciate , is that there are a lot of people doing the "grunt work " when it comes to making movies and music or other forms of entertainment that don't grab anywhere near the glory that the big stars/artists do. They've all put in to make a product and should be compensated for it. If you don't think you will like it, don't watch.

This whole, we should be able to try something out for an undetermined amount of time to see if we like it attitude wouldn't fly in other industries. It's bad enough people try to eat a whole meal in a restaurant and then turn around and say they don't want to pay for it because they didn't agree with how it tasted. We can't pull this kind of thing anywhere else. Why does stealing movies or music seem less illegal than other things? It's one thing if we own an album and make another copy for ourselves ( which there are some real weird controls on ) but its another to be downloading these things en masse.

Exactly and it is funny how when it doe,s not affect them ( the down loaders ) it is okay , But once their livelihood is affected it is a different story.

17FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:02 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

How exactly does downloading a tv show that's available for free from a variety of sources impacting anyone's livelyhood? I call BS.

18FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:09 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Of note.. almost every single major network now archives the daily/weekly tv shows on its own website because they realized the market was in fact there.

19FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 pm

MissFae

MissFae

Unfortunately Canada's network websites suck and the US ones won't play for Canadians without going through a proxy which is a big fat PITA.

20FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Exactly... FFS How am I going to watch TV now? 114687

Give us Hulu Plus, Netflix and access to US network websites and you'd see a pretty big drop in downloading in Canada. But I'm sure the cable co's in Canada lobby the CRTC pretty hard to make sure it never happens. Way too big a threat to their profits.

I for one would gladly pay $20/month for Netflix and Hulu Plus and cut the cord from Bell,Shaw, MTS etc. Why exactly does it cost $50-60 monthly more to buy basically the same content you get from just the above 2 services? The future is buying you services directly from the content providers and cutting out the cable company middle man altogether.

That is untill the ISP's start jacking up the bandwidth prices and become the new cable company.

21FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Anonymous

Which shows are you interested in watching?

22FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:45 pm

MissFae

MissFae

Most of them Razz

I don't know, summer season's pretty slow anyways. I just need something to turn my brain off when I'm going to sleep or feeling stressy, so I watch a lot of crime dramas mostly. d

@ Grumpy- My issue is less getting stuff from the internet to my TV and more getting it from my cable to my computer. I'm sure there's an easy fix for that too. I'm just too lazy to look into it when I can just stream sh1t.

23FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:26 pm

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

When I miss a show I simply download it from rapidshare or other uploading server. This is easy and fast and there is no need for piracy sites, torrents, or other gadgets.

24FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:37 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I look at the schedule and record it on my DVR. If I miss it during its' normal time slot I record the west coast channels (time shift).

25FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Empty Re: FFS How am I going to watch TV now? Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Anonymous

grumpyrom wrote:How exactly does downloading a tv show that's available for free from a variety of sources impacting anyone's livelyhood? I call BS.

Cause royalties pay for new shows and development of them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum