the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good time to go to the USA???

+8
Triniman
grumpyrom
Miz point
Deank
AGEsAces
GGF
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Loonie just a tiny sliver away from parity with greenback as commodities rise

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - The Canadian dollar is flirting with parity with the U.S. dollar, a level it has not hit since July 2008.

The U.S. dollar has been driven downward in recent weeks by rising oil prices and continued economic instability.

The loonie, on the other hand, has been supported by the relative strength of the Canadian economy and confidence that Canada has not taken on more debt than it can handle, worries that persist for the United States and many European nations.

At mid-morning, the currency was up 0.46 of a cent to 99.63 cents US. Last week it rose 1.75 cents US on strong economic data and surging commodity prices.

Economists don't expect the loonie to rise quickly to the heights it reached around US$1.10 back in November 2007, but rather feel it will waver around parity for a while.

A high loonie is a boon to cross-border shoppers but a curse for many manufacturers and exporters as the price for their goods becomes less attractive to international buyers, especially in the U.S., Canada's biggest market.

2Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:28 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

If/when it hits $1.10 (again) I plan on buying many US dollars.

3Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:20 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

GOM you wrote:

If/when it hits $1.10 (again) I plan on buying many US dollars.

That's a good plan GOM...Last fall I had some US dollars that I had left over from a few years ago when it was at par and just last fall when the Cdn dollar was still I believe around the 80+ cent mark or something...none the less I remember it was just before the loonie started rapidly rising again...I cashed my US dollars in and made myself a small profit...

4Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I still have some US dollars leftover from Vegas, I plan on buying more when and if our dollar strengthens even more. I like doing a 3 day shopping trip to Minneapolis, can find some great deals.

5Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Goth_chic wrote:I still have some US dollars leftover from Vegas, I plan on buying more when and if our dollar strengthens even more. I like doing a 3 day shopping trip to Minneapolis, can find some great deals.

Especially on canned cheese Wink

Spoiler:

http://www.photage.ca

6Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:I still have some US dollars leftover from Vegas, I plan on buying more when and if our dollar strengthens even more. I like doing a 3 day shopping trip to Minneapolis, can find some great deals.

Especially on canned cheese Good time to go to the USA??? Icon_wink

Spoiler:

LOL... its crazy how much that stuff has gone up in price in the last year

7Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am still shocked that people consume spray cheese....ewwwwww.

8Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:11 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Goth_chic wrote:I am still shocked that people consume spray cheese....ewwwwww.

don't knock it till you've tipped a can up and filled your mouth with its essence Smile.

http://www.photage.ca

9Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:

don't knock it till you've tipped a can up and filled your mouth with its essence Smile.

I do not eat any processed cheese. We use real cheddar for burgers and sandwiches...cheese in a can or a jar is not even remotely appetizing.

10Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Goth_chic wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:

don't knock it till you've tipped a can up and filled your mouth with its essence Good time to go to the USA??? Icon_smile.

I do not eat any processed cheese. We use real cheddar for burgers and sandwiches...cheese in a can or a jar is not even remotely appetizing.

what about velveeta?

11Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

When we travel to the US, I generally find amazing deals on kids clothes, groceries (excluding spray cheese), and of course booze. Smile

12Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Nope do not eat velveeta...

13Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Nordstrom's......oh yeah.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

14Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:46 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

It's ridiculous how much cheaper you can buy clothing and shoes in the US. I love Minnesota as their is no tax at all on clothes and shoes.

I just hope the dollar keeps climbing till at least fall. We're going to Orlando for a week in Oct. but flying out of Msp. Would be nice to get some great deals in Albertville on the way back.

15Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:Nope do not eat velveeta...

How about hotdogs? There made from lips and a$$holes. I don't eat them.

16Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:36 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Question for those of you who go to the U.S for shopping. Are you really saving that much money after you factor in the gas for the drive there and back, hotel, food, and gas for transportation while your there? Or is it more for the fun of shopping in another country? I've often wondered if it was worth it after you factor all the cost's associated with travel.

I've been to the states a few times but never specifically for shopping.

17Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I treat it as a mini vacation, visit friends, maybe catch a concert and some gallery shows.....and of course hit the Mall of America! In MSP anyway.....shopping anywhere else is adjunct and specific to the city i am visiting....for example if i go to the Bay Area I am coming back with cooking exotica that cannot be bought in Winnipeg.

18Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Our soccer club attends the USA Cup in Blaine each summer. The strong dollar will provide that more players will be attending. A lot of parents make a vacation out of it.

Albertville is a favourite. I buy a years supply of underwear there each year, but you all didn't really need to know that, did you.

19Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Is it frilly? Does it match those heels? Good time to go to the USA??? Icon_smile

20Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

NO, no , no, its just Jockey shorts. I embarass my kids by forcing them to come with me.

21Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The frilly stuff is for dress up only.

22Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:Our soccer club attends the USA Cup in Blaine each summer. The strong dollar will provide that more players will be attending. A lot of parents make a vacation out of it.

Albertville is a favourite. I buy a years supply of underwear there each year, but you all didn't really need to know that, did you.
I cant see how you can be saving that much money on one pair to make it worth while

23Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Bartron wrote:Question for those of you who go to the U.S for shopping. Are you really saving that much money after you factor in the gas for the drive there and back, hotel, food, and gas for transportation while your there? Or is it more for the fun of shopping in another country? I've often wondered if it was worth it after you factor all the cost's associated with travel.

When I go shopping to the USA it costs me about $4 in gas.

That coupled with the ability to buy stuff not available here makes it worth while.

24Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:
Freeman wrote:Our soccer club attends the USA Cup in Blaine each summer. The strong dollar will provide that more players will be attending. A lot of parents make a vacation out of it.

I cant see how you can be saving that much money on one pair to make it worth while

I'm cheap.

25Good time to go to the USA??? Empty Re: Good time to go to the USA??? Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:06 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Bartron wrote:Question for those of you who go to the U.S for shopping. Are you really saving that much money after you factor in the gas for the drive there and back, hotel, food, and gas for transportation while your there? Or is it more for the fun of shopping in another country? I've often wondered if it was worth it after you factor all the cost's associated with travel.

I don't think it's possible to save money if you go down just to shop...but if you combine it with a vacation or a long weekend getaway then it's possible to get some great deals. I'm hoping it get's back up around $1.05 to 1.10 US by fall like it was back in fall 2007. I went to Vegas that year in August and it was awesome to exchange for US dollars at the bank and get more US currency back than I was exchanging. If I remember correctly I was getting roughly $1.02 US to 1$ CA at the bank.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum