the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Controversial native leader Ahenakew dies

+2
djh
Triniman
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

David Ahenakew, the controversial Saskatchewan First Nations figure whose comments on Jews were the subject of several court cases, has died at the age of 76, reportedly from cancer. --CBC.ca

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/03/12/ahenakew-obit.html

Anonymous

Did not agree with him but he kept it interesting hope he finds peace with himself .

djh

djh
contributor
contributor

its sad to see even after a mans death that his personal views almost overshadow his demise. many native leaders spew hate against white people and are regarded as heroes in the media. this man made the fatal error of antagonizing the zionist media and establishment by his half drunken remarks. in the end, not even the zionists could trample freedom of speech. give them time,they are working on it.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Controversial native leader Ahenakew dies 803310

djh

djh
contributor
contributor

botcotting what you "freeman" call trolls is just a lame attempt to stifle free speech. you and rosencrentz are the same in a way. he said no one cares about my views but then goes on a long diatribe about how wrong they are. turn on the tv and go to sleep, maybe the joy behar show is on headline news.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

boring- racist , anti-minority, and a shame that we won't be able to meet until the summer! You have no Jewish friends , and that is your problem. All your hate to a people that you don't know!
Oh damn, I cut myself, and look the blood is red, the same colour as yours!
How can that be?
You need to go to Church !

http://www.elansofas.com

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Everybody is entitled to their opinions/beliefs. Ahenekew no different. Freedom of speech is paramount and any dissecting of that is a dangerous, slippery slope. The problem most people had with his statements is that they would be crucified for saying anything similar. I'm still surprised (as most were) that he was charged for it. That relieved the pressure of that dynamic (ethnic passes) that was really at the centre of the matter. If we were to enforce hate speech then it won't be long before we are jailing cartoonists (and then seeing growing resistance/resentment of immigrants and immigration. What we need is a democracy which we don't have in Canada despite popular belief - as Miz P pointed out. We need referendums to end the many ambiguities. There is no such thing as right and wrong - just the majority.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

djh wrote:botcotting what you "freeman" call trolls is just a lame attempt to stifle free speech. you and rosencrentz are the same in a way. he said no one cares about my views but then goes on a long diatribe about how wrong they are. turn on the tv and go to sleep, maybe the joy behar show is on headline news.
Controversial native leader Ahenakew dies 200631

Anonymous

Jondo wrote: The problem most people had with his statements is that they would be crucified for saying anything similar. I'm still surprised (as most were) that he was charged for it.

Huh??

Didn't he say that it was too bad that Hitler didn't kill all the Jews?

djh

djh
contributor
contributor

david ahenakew in a half drunken speech did say hitler should have finished off the jews of europe but thats not illegal nor should it be. people are ALLOWED to hate any people, places, or things that they want to in this country. words in front of a podium cannot do any physical harm to anybody. a good example of this idea is a 80s or 90s rap group "public enemy", whose logo had a cop with cross hairs on it. they advocated cop killing but did not violate any law.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTH. The point was that people cannot be censored. If he said that he was going to fry all Jews then we have a law against that - making threats. Had he encouraged others to do that - we have a law for that too. He threatened nobody. People can have their thoughts and beliefs - no matter how incorrect you or anyone feels they may be. Nothing is accomplished with that approach. It could be argued that the opposite effect is realized.

djh

djh
contributor
contributor

its not like me to say this but...agreed. ughh..i sound like a NW moderator.

Anonymous

Jondo wrote:JTH. The point was that people cannot be censored. If he said that he was going to fry all Jews then we have a law against that - making threats. Had he encouraged others to do that - we have a law for that too. He threatened nobody. People can have their thoughts and beliefs - no matter how incorrect you or anyone feels they may be. Nothing is accomplished with that approach. It could be argued that the opposite effect is realized.

Ahhhh.that's why he was found Not Guilty after a trial...actually two trials.

But he was found guilty of being a fuckwad by most people...as is their right. Smile

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

He was indeed a fcukwad. I wonder, is that a racist comment? Hmmmm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum