the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Laptop Overheating Problems

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Laptop Overheating Problems Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 am

Anonymous

My laptop is in the shop. Yesterday, my Vista operating system would not boot up. I took it to Powerland Computers, and it turns out something was wrong with my fan.
I pray that none of the major conponents are damaged, and the hard drive is ok. It's going to set me back $70 at the least, as they "operate" on it. Has anyone had this problem before? I read it is becoming more and more common to new computers.

2Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Hasn't happened to me, knock on wood.

How old is your laptop? Make, model?

3Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Problem also occurs when you use it on a surface that does not allow it to ventilate properly. A while back there was a house fire that was found to be the result of a laptop computer being left on the top of a bed. This prevents the fan from circulating properly. Even using them on your lap can cause the fan to burn out quicker than they were designed to. The other problem happens when you are finished using the laptop and do not turn it off. The fan continues to run but if you shut the computer off, it is off. We have 2 laptops in our house and 1 is stored in the off mode when not in use and the other is sometimes left on or in hibernation/sleep mode. This one is quite decidedly warmer that the other one. Just a quick piece of advice that I received from my company's IT department when they gave me a laptop to use at home.

4Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:34 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My laptop is on right now and it is sitting on a book that keeps it up about 1" off the desk.
I have a cheap Acer , and the heat generated from it is good enough to light my cigars! My daughter's $4500 laptop runs very cool.
Our business machine awhile ago had to have its fan replaced, and it wasn't a major cost.
Put your hand on the battery after you have been on the computer for awhile, and judge for yoursel! If it is very hot then keep the machine raised up and allowing air to get underneath.

http://www.elansofas.com

5Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:41 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

while repairs may be expensive...a cheap fix would be to get a fan support/table to rest your laptop on.

Try Princess Auto for some (I've seen them for less than $10).

Basically it will keep air moving under the unit.

What model do you have?
Something to keep in mind when shopping for a new one, is you want a fan with an opening in the back...rather than only underneath it.

And don't set it on your bed while using it...as it sinks into the blanket/sheets and will overheat it.

http://www.photage.ca

6Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Anonymous

Pretty sure it's a HP/Compaq Presario. Thanks, Ages for the advice. I will definitely check that out. I just hope none of the major components were damaged, although it was the first time it has given me problems.

7Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:08 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Sadly, this is the one huge drawback to laptops and miniaturized technology in general....heat dissipation.

I'll second the laptop cooler idea.
Holly's advice is second to none as well.....

Relatively inexpensive and they help keep your laptop cooler, as well as the battery cooler as well.

Regularly checking the fans, and making sure they are dust free will also help. Making sure the exhaust ports (where all the hot air is ducted out of the laptop) are clean and un-obstructed is also a good idea.

A few years ago, the type of processor you had would play a big role in how much heat a given laptop would generate. That doesn't appear to be as big of an issue these days.

The good news, is that laptops have dropped in price so much now, that to replace one with a very decent unit would be around the $500-$600....(relatively speaking, a few years ago the same laptops would be selling for double!)

8Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Anonymous

Update!

Picked up my computer today from Powerland. Turns out it was just a broken fan. So they cleaned out the dust, replaced the fan, and charged for labour. Ended up costing me $106.00. Fairly costly, but at least it was not the motherboard or hard drive.

9Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Anonymous

whew!

10Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Anonymous

Thanks to all who have help me tackle this issue. The sandbox once again comes through! Laptop Overheating Problems Icon_smile

11Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:41 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

This is MizP and GOM's fault!

12Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Anonymous

Laptop Overheating Problems Icon_rolleyes

13Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:45 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

LennyJessop wrote:Update!

Picked up my computer today from Powerland. Turns out it was just a broken fan. So they cleaned out the dust, replaced the fan, and charged for labour. Ended up costing me $106.00. Fairly costly, but at least it was not the motherboard or hard drive.

Good to hear you came out on top with no serious issues. Once a laptop goes in for service....usually it get's really eSpencive! Laptop Overheating Problems Icon_cool

14Laptop Overheating Problems Empty Re: Laptop Overheating Problems Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

New thread- Sandbox overheating problem!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum