the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buying an eBOOK reader???

+4
grumpyrom
Deank
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Buying an eBOOK reader??? Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:04 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

On this evening's news there was a story about eBOOK readers, which got me thinking: has anyone considered buying one? And, which is the best?

Last edited by grumpy old man on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed from eBOOKs to eBOOK readers...)

2Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Apparently that is why so many real bookstores have closed. So many sales of ebooks at 10.00 as opposed to killing trees and spending $40???

http://www.elansofas.com

3Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Anonymous

Ebooks will never completely replace paper books imo. Looking at a computer screen just ain't the same...especially with people that are on a computer all day.

Remember, they said that the computer would do away with paperwork....it's actually increased the amount of paper I'd reckon.

But, just to hedge my bets, I've sold all my bookmarker stocks.

4Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup.. just aint the same. Whilst I have layed in the tub a number of times reading a book on the old laptop it aint nearly as easy nor as enjoyable as a paper book.

5Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:34 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

My wife absolutely loves her Kindle. For anyone who hasn't seen one up close they are nothing like reading on a laptop or computer monitor. Everyone who has seen hers has remarked how paper like the e-ink display looks. In my opinion ebooks will slowly take the lions share of new sales just as mp3 sales solidly outpace physical cd sales now. It may take 10 years but the pro's solidly outweigh the cons. You can buy your new book anytime, anywhere, and for less money. The only downside I see is the inability to lend books to friends, but again I don't see that as being any different than mp3 or any other digital media download.

I think we are slowly seeing the transition away from physical media for items like movies, music and books permanently. Content publishers will have to adapt their business models or die.

6Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:09 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

You can read ebooks on most ipods and mp3 players.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

7Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:38 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

The problem with reading on a non dedicated reader is eye strain. I've tried reading on my ipod and computer and it gets uncomfortable relatively quickly.

8Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:57 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I saw on that news report that like eBOOK readers can trade eBOOKs.

9Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Depends on what DRM (if any) the ebook file contains. I can trade you all the DRM free pdf's or epub format books I want. I can't trade you any books purchased from Amazon in Kindle format as they are DRM protected, just like AAC tunes from Itunes.

The Barnes and Noble Nook has made much ado about the ability to share titles unlike the Kindle, however even this is highly restriced. You can only lend an ebook if the publisher allows it; this can be turned off exactly like how publishers can turn off the text-to-speech feature on Kindle titles.You can only lend an ebook out for 14 days maximum.You can only lend an ebookonce; after that, lending is permanently disabled on the title. Even this is largely pointless as the Nook is not yet available in Canada.

There are also many, many DRM free titles available on Google Books in .pdf format.

10Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I understood that the lower end Kindle could not accept PDF formatted eBOOKs?

11Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

They work just fine GOM. The Kindle 2 now has native pdf support however to be honest they work better if uploaded to Amazon and are converted to Kindle format first. The conversion is free if done from your pc. My understanding is that they were forced into adding the pdf support by the fact that the Nook as well as many lower cost alternatives include this feature.

My wife prefers the books purchased from Amazon as they include covers etc. and overall look nicer on the display than the converted pdf files but they are still very readable.

There is also a program called Calibre that converts other ebook formats to Kindle format and adds RSS feeds from your pc as well.

12Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:56 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Well I decided on a Sony. I'll let you all know what I think after it arrives.

13Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:22 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I was torn between the Sony and the Kindle for my wife. The way I see it the pro's for the Sony are better support of multiple formats, and the ability to borrow books for free from the City of Winnipeg library. The Kindle 2 has a much better paid library, cheaper new release pricing and is the only reader in Canada with wireless download capability (so far). In the end the Kindle 2 won out because I knew she'd prefer the easier access to purchase books without a pc. Both are solid devices though, hope you enjoy it GOM.

14Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:46 am

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

No.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

15Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:04 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Can you be more succinct?

16Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

The book is dead, or soon will be - Free Press article, 18 Dec., 2010

It's been 11 months since this thread began.

Who here has purchased an ebook reader since then and what have your experiences been like?

17Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Anonymous

Triniman wrote:The book is dead, or soon will be - Free Press article, 18 Dec., 2010

I think that "The ebook is dead, or sales are flat..." is more appropriate personally.

From what I've seen, those that wanted one now have them.

18Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:09 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Ebook reader sales may be flat but many people like myself are also usind devices such as smartphones and tablets instead. The software is largely cross platform now.

19Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

IMO, nothing will ever replace a book. I read a novel a week and could never imagine using an ebook reader.

20Buying an eBOOK reader??? Empty Re: Buying an eBOOK reader??? Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:33 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

We do both at our house, the main advantage to the ebooks for me personally are the ability to buy a book anywhere and anytime using either the iBooks or Kindle apps and the ability to always have your book with you without actually having to carry it. My wife prefers her Kindle for books like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which are just too large and heavy to carry around easily with you. A lot of books that are 800+ pages long are a PITA to carry around with you.

I hadn't read in years before trying out the ebook apps on my phone and now I'm completely sucked back in. For convienience you can't get much better than 2-3 clicks and 30 seconds later your reading a new book.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum