the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor

+6
Triniman
Freeman
umcrouc0
Deank
JT Estoban
rosencrentz
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:04 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Community centres get government cash

Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor 090921-SinclairPket

WINNIPEG - Funding in excess of $5.6 million for recreation projects was announced by the three levels of government this morning.

Ralph Brown Community Centre, $114,618 improvement including new kitchen and upgrading the electrical, plumbing, ventilation and fire safety systems;
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Community-centres-get-government-cash-60000827.html

http://www.elansofas.com

2Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:41 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

This somehow wouldn't have happened without Katz's fingers in the pie? Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Suspect

3Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:43 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Regarding the Sinclair Park project.

They have been constantly fundraising (grants and actual fund raising ) for at least the last 4 years for this project. So to all of a sudden say that X million was all of a sudden granted SP is completely wrong.

4Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:54 am

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

So does this mean that all the rapid transit money that was re-allocated to community centres has already been spent? This is a 'continuation' of that so I guess it must have been.

5Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umcrouc0 wrote:So does this mean that all the rapid transit money that was re-allocated to community centres has already been spent? This is a 'continuation' of that so I guess it must have been.

HAHAHAHA oh man thats funny. ( no actually this is that money for the most part )

go ahead guess what percentage of that RT money was allocated to community centres...and what percentage was allocted to "recreation".

6Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

I don't even want to know. I hear the waterpark is going well.

7Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

exactly

8Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:38 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The Water park Project is on, but they are putting it on Wellington Crescent and starting at my roof line, so i can get off the roof after cleaning the eaves.
This money for Ralph brown is incredibly huge for the CC. They weren't aware that it was coming!

Holy Moley! What a great surprise!!!

9Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:12 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So everyone agrees that it is OK for Sam to send much needed funding to core areas that need it?
Any nay sayers out there?

Come on , we know there has to be something negative to be said about spending money now, for poor community centers! lol

10Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:15 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

OK, no more money to community centres until they actually have a plan in place. Enough of giving bags of money to these groups, that for the better part, a bunch of entrepeneurial wannabes who have no idea what its like to run a plan and run a program. We already have enough underutilized space with schools that aren't used past 3:30 but won't allow anyone to use them because of the restrictions of their unionized employees. Give them the money for buildings and they'll be back next year demanding more money to maintain them and to staff them for the 14 kids that show up.

11Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Is Sam Katx is our greatest Mayor.... how come he aint thinking of running for mayor of toronto like a former mayor?

12Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:58 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Toronto's loss, our gain!

13Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:03 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

my thoughts exactly.

14Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:16 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman- get your butt down to help out at Ralph Brown Community Center, where you will find 10 to 40 hungry penniless kids from the area , showing up to participate in their local programs, that are aimed at providing a very healthy meal and participation in things other than stealing, robbing, beating others!
Your criticism is so off base that it is funny, in a perverse way!
"Entrepreneural wannabee's", for those who are donating their time is so off-base, that I know that you are just pulling our leg! No one could criticize those donating their time,effort and donations, except to elicit a response of complete disgust in your comments!
Northender from the other side, if you dropped in to Northenders House at noon on a Sunday, when the CC isn't open because of a lack of funding, you will find a dozen kids making lunch.
I am sure that the entrepreneural spirit that is donating food and comfort to these kids isn't doing too well, because the food is all no charge!

15Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:48 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why would I go to Ralph Brown, I spend massive amounts of my own time volunteering in my community. You're right, no one should criticize those donating their time, but their cause is not the only one, nor is it the only one that deserves funding. While Ralph Brown struggles to stay open, the St Johns Leisure centre is mere blocks away, fully staffed and funded by the City of Winnipeg. They actually have a full kitchen from which they run cooking classes. Why can't it be used to teach and provide meals to kids.

There are loads of programs in the core and the north end, but none of them want to sit down and talk to each other to coordinate activities and avoid duplication and redundancies

16Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:01 am

Anonymous

A lot of people are making jobs out of the situation. It's been that way for many years.

17Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Eye think a donation of a sofa would solve all the problems!

18Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:55 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman- I am relieved that you donate time. St John's leisure center is close by? It is at Aiken's and Inkster, and is open 9AM to 2PM, Monday to Friday.
The core area needs a community centre open 9AM to 9PM seven days a week, where kids at risk can find a safe haven from the guns, knives, pimps, prostitutes.
I don't care which cc offers that but, Ralph Brown is one of them , that is for sure, and I believe that The Leisure Centre , judging by the local residents could be another.
It always comes back to funding, and I think that there are many improvements getting looked after by the volunteers.
I say yea to volunteers, and yea to Mayor Sam that put this renovation ahead of some planned applications, in order to get improvements to the North Enders.
The sofa they need won't work from my store because all we do here is white sofas! lol
We did get their multi purpose room air conditioned last year , so that did make a small impact!
Their is no duplication! each cc has its own local residents that they serve. Having a meal at The Freight House won't impact Ralph Brown because they are 4 miles apart!

19Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:57 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

if you wont walk 4 miles for a meal, you are not hungy just yet ( referring mostly to adults )

20Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:21 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

St. John's is nowhere near Inkster.

It's off Osborne...and has quite late hours.

http://www.photage.ca

21Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

St Johns Leisure Centre is at the corner of Aikins and Carruthers and is 1.3 km from Ralph Brown CC,(walking according to Google)

Ages, I believe you are thinking of the Fort Rouge Leisure Centre which is on Osborne, just around Morley.

22Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freight House does not serve meals.

23Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Anonymous

...nor do they handle freight any more...!!!

Commie bastards!! They should change their name to No Freight Anymore House.

24Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Empty Re: Sam Katz is The Greatest Mayor Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:48 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Freeman- get your butt down to help out at Ralph Brown Community Center, where you will find 10 to 40 hungry penniless kids from the area , showing up to participate in their local programs, that are aimed at providing a very healthy meal and participation in things other than stealing, robbing, beating others!
Your criticism is so off base that it is funny, in a perverse way!
"Entrepreneural wannabee's", for those who are donating their time is so off-base, that I know that you are just pulling our leg! No one could criticize those donating their time,effort and donations, except to elicit a response of complete disgust in your comments!
Northender from the other side, if you dropped in to Northenders House at noon on a Sunday, when the CC isn't open because of a lack of funding, you will find a dozen kids making lunch.
I am sure that the entrepreneural spirit that is donating food and comfort to these kids isn't doing too well, because the food is all no charge!

Want to see real poverty? Look at the African people in this video about Lake Koka in Ethiopia.

Our pennyless kids in the north end are frigging upper upper class compared to the kids in Rural Ethiopia.