the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wyatt shows true colours

+3
JT Estoban
umcrouc0
Freeman
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:So if the mayor, and his hand picked yes men could conceivably reject anything that the mayor doesn't like/approve of and it would never get to council for a full vote.

I'm under the impression that a Councillor can bring issues to the floor of Council, sort of a "private members" bill as it were. Does anyone have a quick answer to that question?

27Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Likewise, any proposals brought to Council can still be amended or outright rejected by a simple majority of the voting members.

28Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:20 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Freeman wrote:
umcrouc0 wrote:
Freeman wrote:I guess a downside with that is that an individual could push a personal or local agenda while chairing a certain standing committee. Would all the streets in the North End suddenly get fixed if Harry was to chair the public works committee? Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Icon_smile
So the current system doesn't allow anyone to push a personal agenda?

DId I say that? But at least under the current system, the Mayor has the authority to give someone the boot rather than just waiting for his turn to expire.
Council should have that ability, not the mayor.

29Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:41 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Freeman wrote:Likewise, any proposals brought to Council can still be amended or outright rejected by a simple majority of the voting members.
That may be the case but I think EPC can stop a lot of things from getting that far. I thought that a number of issues needed to go through EPC before being approved to go to a full council vote. But maybe not.

30Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

umcrouc0 wrote:
Freeman wrote:
umcrouc0 wrote:
Freeman wrote:I guess a downside with that is that an individual could push a personal or local agenda while chairing a certain standing committee. Would all the streets in the North End suddenly get fixed if Harry was to chair the public works committee? Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Icon_smile
So the current system doesn't allow anyone to push a personal agenda?

DId I say that? But at least under the current system, the Mayor has the authority to give someone the boot rather than just waiting for his turn to expire.
Council should have that ability, not the mayor.

Would that not be leaning towards a party type system?

31Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:
JT Estoban wrote:So if the mayor, and his hand picked yes men could conceivably reject anything that the mayor doesn't like/approve of and it would never get to council for a full vote.

I'm under the impression that a Councillor can bring issues to the floor of Council, sort of a "private members" bill as it were. Does anyone have a quick answer to that question?
yes

32Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:Likewise, any proposals brought to Council can still be amended or outright rejected by a simple majority of the voting members.

yes

33Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:55 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Councillors should get ZERO extra money for chairing or sitting on any committees. That would help a bit.

34Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't know about that. I think that one of our problems is that we don't make public office inviting enough to attract the right people. If you're successful at whatever it is you're doing, should you take a substantial cut in pay to hold public office. I'm not saying match big $$, but being elected Councillor should not represent a substantial increase in your gross earnings.

35Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

councillors get paid quite well to begin with... AND 30% of their pay is tax free. They should not also be getting substanial bonuses to be on extra committees. That should be part of their job duties.

36Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

$61,429.01 before "bonuses" and up to 76,051.23 with bonuses.
dont forget... 30% tax free.

AND... depending on where you got your start.. Notably some of the unions... you are gaurenteed your job back when you are done being a councillor through resignation or being not voted in the next time.

37Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:22 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That is NOT "good" money. I think there is sufficient evidence that we are getting what we are paying for.

38Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

how is that NOT good money? you have to remember the 30% tax free GOM makes a hell of a difference for the amount of work they "need" to perform.

39Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

"IMO"

40Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lets say its not enough.. why should they be getting "bonuses" to do work that should already be part of being a councillor?

41Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:36 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahh, Deank. So what? If one serves on a committee ostensibly they are offering greater value and should be compensated accordingly. It also rewards those that get more involved.

Assume everybody get's paid the "minimum" and is "topped up" for offering greater value. I see that as reasonable and fair.

42Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

how about instead making the minimum serving on 4 committees?

15K in bonuses is pretty damn unreasonable. ESPECIALLY when citizen members of those same committees get paid ZERO dollars

43Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:52 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:how about instead making the minimum serving on 4 committees?

15K in bonuses is pretty damn unreasonable. ESPECIALLY when citizen members of those same committees get paid ZERO dollars

Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 114687
Agreed

44Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:44 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Is there extra pay for "serving" on Committees, or is it for "chairing" the Committees? And is it all Committtes, or just the Standing Policy Committees? Just to sit as a member probably isn't worth more, but being the chair certainly is?

Even when you factor in the tax free deal on 30% of the earnings, it still isn't great. You get what you pay for.

45Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:24 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup extra for serving

46Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:10 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'd have to agree that $75K is not great money to attract the best..even with the 30% tax free portion your only adding something like an additional $8-10K in take home pay. So your looking at a real world equivalent of around $90-95K.

That may be inviting to some, but I dont think it's a huge incentive to throw away your private life and be open to public scrutiny for most people. I know for a fact at my workplace that probably 50% of the workforce earns those kind of wages or more by putting in some overtime when it's available.

Where's the incentive for me to run for office and put up with you guys criticizing my every move, when I can earn just as much by putting in an extra 10-15/hrs a week? Not worth it IMHO.

This is not the 1980's anymore, I'd consider $75K to be just above a decent living wage. It is certainly not "BIG" money.

47Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Anonymous

Are you talking about individual income or family income?
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil21a-eng.htm

48Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:I'd have to agree that $75K is not great money to attract the best..even with the 30% tax free portion your only adding something like an additional $8-10K in take home pay. So your looking at a real world equivalent of around $90-95K.

That may be inviting to some, but I dont think it's a huge incentive to throw away your private life and be open to public scrutiny for most people. I know for a fact at my workplace that probably 50% of the workforce earns those kind of wages or more by putting in some overtime when it's available.

Where's the incentive for me to run for office and put up with you guys criticizing my every move, when I can earn just as much by putting in an extra 10-15/hrs a week? Not worth it IMHO.

This is not the 1980's anymore, I'd consider $75K to be just above a decent living wage. It is certainly not "BIG" money.

Maybe the Councillors could form a union and demand better pay and benefits. Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Icon_smile

49Wyatt shows true colours - Page 2 Empty Re: Wyatt shows true colours Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:22 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Are you talking about individual income or family income?
[url=http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil21a-eng.htm
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil21a-eng.htm[/quote[/url]]

Individual....looking at your link the average family income AFTER tax for a family of four is $82K...so around $120k before taxes. Roughly $60K per income earner. This is the minimum of what I would consider a "decent" wage that allows one to own a "decent" home, a "decent" newer car, and maybe a family vacation once a year. I don't consider these things to be luxurious, but rather normal for a middle class lifesyle. But I'm getting off track.....

Therefore paying someone $15k more than a decent wage is not exactly what I'd consider a "big" money job.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum