the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday?

+6
Time Lord
LivingDead
Freeman
Deank
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should November 11 be a national holiday?

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Vote_lcap95%Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Vote_rcap 95% [ 18 ]
Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Vote_lcap0%Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Vote_lcap5%Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Vote_rcap 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

November 11 is perhaps the most important day for Canadians to reflect upon how we got here.
Many brave Canadians gave their lives allowing Canada to become what she is. They continue to die today fighting a war so others might enjoy what we have.

Anonymous

It's the lest we can do.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Absolutely...the soldiers are a volunteer organization. They have offered to put their lives at risk when asked to do so in order to provide a better environment for the rest of the world.

IMHO, there should be a National Holiday for Police (all branches) & Firefighters too.

Get rid of silly holidays like Louis Riel, and even Queen's birthday (there is no Queen of Canada anyway)...let's make them honor those who actually do something today...those that don't get the holiday that is set to honor them.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Hate to burst your anti-monarchy bubble AGEsAces. Heh heh. The Queen (or King) of England is also the Queen (or King) of Canada. Also, this is Canada's heritage. I'd be very reluctant to eliminate anything that celebrates our heritage. That said I'm not a monarchist either and advocate losing anything but ceremonial monarchist activities.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:Hate to burst your anti-monarchy bubble AGEsAces. Heh heh. The Queen (or King) of England is also the Queen (or King) of Canada. Also, this is Canada's heritage. I'd be very reluctant to eliminate anything that celebrates our heritage. That said I'm not a monarchist either and advocate losing anything but ceremonial monarchist activities.

Oh..but she's not.

Yes, it's heritage, and I give you that (the same as I grant a holiday for George Washington in the US)...but a current Queen? she's not.

At least according to what I've read about the government of Canada (and...not growing up here I haven't had years of education, so maybe I'm misunderstanding something).

My understanding is as follows: Canada WAS under English rule until 1967..at which time Canada decided to become it's own entity and cut ties with the English. But, the military was still run by the English, and it was a "new" country, so they agreed to let the English manage the military (hence the Governor General who is appointed by the Queen), but the day-to-day operations of the country is run by a democratic society.

The Prime Minister of Canada, on a political level, would be on par with the President of the United States, who is on par with the Queen/King of England.

Since this thread is about holidays though...I'll retract my request for the non-Queen day, as it refers to an historic queen...and thus represents heritage...and founding the Country.

Canada does not have as many frivolous holidays as other Countries. The US for example, has MLK day, Lincoln's b-day...Australia has 4 or 5 "bank" days?.

And (I think) it's Spain has 3 months off in the summer..."hot" days I think they are called Wink.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Actually... the Govenor General can refuse to sign any and all pieces of legislation and until she signs them they are not law. Currently she automatically signs anything that passes but is well within her legal right not to.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The trouble I have is the word "holiday". I along with my family go out to services on November 11th. I see far too many people not going, and not even turning the TV on to a channel brodcasting the services. National "day of remembrance" would be a better term and having that day have far different legal meaning.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think you are incorrect my American friend. Or I might be. Would someone please set the record straight?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

done and done

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

OK...today I learn Very Happy

The monarchy of Canada, also known as the Canadian monarchy,[1][2] is a constitutional system of government in which a hereditary monarch is the sovereign and head of state of Canada,[3] forming the core of the country's Westminster style parliamentary democracy.[4] The terms Crown in Right of Canada, Her Majesty in Right of Canada, or The Queen in Right of Canada may also be used to refer to the entire executive of the government of Canada.
Though the Canadian Crown has its roots in the French and British
Crowns, it has evolved over the centuries to become a distinctly
Canadian institution,[5] represented by unique symbols, and sometimes being colloquially dubbed the Maple Crown;[6] a term first coined by Governor General Lord Grey in 1905.[7]
The present monarch is Elizabeth II – officially titled Queen of Canada (French: Reine du Canada) – who has reigned since February 6, 1952. She, her consort and other members of the Canadian Royal Family
undertake various public and private functions across Canada and on
behalf of the country abroad. However, the Queen is the only member of
the Royal Family with any constitutional role, holding ultimate executive authority,[4][8] though her Royal Prerogative remains bound by laws enacted by her in parliament and by conventions and precedents,[3] leaving the day-to-day exercise of executive power to her Cabinet.
While several powers are the sovereign's alone, most of the royal
constitutional and ceremonial duties in Canada are carried out by the
Queen's representative, the Governor General;[3] as such, the Governor General can sometimes be referred to as the de facto head of state.[9] In each of Canada's provinces the monarch is represented by a lieutenant governor.[3] The territories are not sovereign, and thus do not have a viceroy.
The Canadian monarch, besides reigning in Canada, separately serves as monarch for each of fifteen other Commonwealth countries known as Commonwealth realms.
This developed from the former colonial relationship of these countries
to Britain, but they are now independent and the monarchy of each is
legally distinct.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Apart from the legalities of provinces administering employment legislation, November 11 should continue to be a national day of remembrance. The term "holiday" just doesn't fit.

It is a time to do exactly as it says, remember.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
November 11 is perhaps the most important day for Canadians to reflect upon how we got here.
Many brave Canadians gave their lives allowing Canada to become what she is. They continue to die today fighting a war so others might enjoy what we have.

My grandfather was a member of the 226 northwest battalion in WW1, He saw many friends die, he endured mustard gas, he saw countless Soldiers killed on both sides. He was a volunteer who emigrated to Canada in 1901 from Germany, the country he would end up fighting against.
He was at the battle that made Canada a nation, Vimmy Ridge.

November 11 should have been a national holiday 80 years ago, 50 years ago, even now almost 100 years after the start of WW1 it should be a National Holiday.

So yes, it should be a National Holiday. And nothing should be open except emergency services and Remembrance day activities.

Last edited by LivingDead on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

When I was growing up that is all that was open. (that and legions)..not even gas stations were open where I lived.

What happened that everyone else needed to open now?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

This should end all the discussion:

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur10

Your cell-phone is in your pocket.

He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Public10

You talk trash about your 'buddies' that aren't with you.

He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur11

You walk down the beach, staring at the pretty girls.

He patrols the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur12

You complain about how hot it is

He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur13

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.
He doesn't get to eat today.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur14

Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.

He wears the same things for weeks, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur15

You go to the mall and get your hair redone.

He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur16

You're angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.

He's told he will be held over an extra 2 months.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur17

You call your girlfriend and set a date for tonight.

He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur18

You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do every day.

He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur19

You roll your eyes as a baby cries.

He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur20 Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur21

You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.
He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own people and remembers why he is fighting.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur22

You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of men like him.

He hears the gunfire, bombs and screams of the wounded.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur23

You see only what the media wants you to see.

He sees the broken bodies lying around him.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur24

You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.
He does exactly what he is told even if it puts his life in danger.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur25

You stay at home and watch TV.
He takes whatever time he is given to call, write home, sleep, and eat.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur26

You crawl into your soft bed, with down pillows, and get comfortable.
He tries to sleep but gets woken by mortars and helicopters all night long.

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur27

REMEMBER our Troops, and do not forget them LATER
Lest we forget -

Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur28
Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur29
Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur30
Is The Sacrifice of Soldiers Worthy of a Holiday? Pictur31

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would take this one step further. Not only is it not a holiday but a national day of remembrance.. but none of this paid time off stuff. Do I enjoy getting paid for days I dont work, well sure doesn't everyone. But this day should be a very worthwhile exception ( would help to stop the businesses from crying about another "holiday" as well and how much it will cost them )

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The cost to pay the employees is one thing. As is "lost" sales. I can assure you the lost productivity is a far different story.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

lost sales, shmost sales,... they will be at the doorstep waiting to buy the next morning.

Lost productivity, yes I can understand that, but.. wouldn;t it be better to have lost productivity and NOT have to pay the employees at the same time?

Time Lord

Time Lord

I close my shop on Nov 11th. Period

http://www.jacsport.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thank you

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Canada would be better off passing a law that restricts our troops to peace keeping only!
I do not know how it could work being a member of the U.N. or NATO, when those groups decide to go to war?

We are expected to contribute and we do!

http://www.elansofas.com

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:The cost to pay the employees is one thing. As is "lost" sales. I can assure you the lost productivity is a far different story.

One could argue that had it not been for the sacrifice of soldiers past and present, they may not have been the jobs and businesses we enjoy today. It should be a day of remembering, nothing open except emergency services and remembrance day events. legions should stay open with un-paid volunteers and no sales or gambling.

I would volunteer to run a legion for the day.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

dailyrants

dailyrants

Nov 11th should be a holiday. Why it's not , I have no idea.
http://jimmycotton.blogspot.com

http://jimmycotton.blogspot.com

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Our office & sites are closed for Nov 11th.

Anonymous

Sad to say retail is open and the trend started when Wall Mart showed up in Canada . I refuse to work on it and either have to take the day unpaid or burn a vacation day . Sad to say some people have nothing better to do with there lifes then wonder around a store. My family has lost members to the war and I honour their memory .

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

It is the VETERAN, not the preacher, who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician, Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum