the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winnipeg says... we need to put a crapload of money into our zoo...Massachusetts says...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

lets KILL EM!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/money/20021259/detail.html

The Legislature had originally provided $6.5 million to the zoos, but Gov. Deval Patrick cut the state funding to $2.5 million.

"Like families throughout the Commonwealth, the state must cut back and the $4 million reduction to the zoo budget is just one example of spending decisions we've made to live within our means," said Kyle Sullivan, a spokesman for Patrick.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

We should shut down our zoo so that we can continue to fund our forthcoming white elephant at the Fork.

Anonymous

Better yet why don,t we quit funding all of the quasi politicle groups that have nothing good to say The Freinds Of Winnipeg, The Mothers Against Whatever , get the drift .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:lets KILL EM!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/money/20021259/detail.html

The Legislature had originally provided $6.5 million to the zoos, but Gov. Deval Patrick cut the state funding to $2.5 million.

"Like families throughout the Commonwealth, the state must cut back and the $4 million reduction to the zoo budget is just one example of spending decisions we've made to live within our means," said Kyle Sullivan, a spokesman for Patrick.
This is a very poorly thought out gambit to force the hand of government and others to cough up some money.

I say for every animal they euthanize we euthanize one of them...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Triniman wrote:We should shut down our zoo so that we can continue to fund our forthcoming white elephant at the Fork.
Silence! You bore me.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:Whatever , get the drift .
Less and less every day. I'd really appreciate some good grammar on occasion. You know, a properly structured sentence. Appropriate placing of periods and commas. Something understandable on first read.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

G.O.M.- have you noticed the last 10 days, in honour of thumbs up and down, which I think I have used maybe once, I have stopped misspelling I for eye, and all the other juvenile things, so to upgrade the forum by 87% on the forum rating scale?

http://www.elansofas.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I had not noticed rosen... But you have succeeded. Kudos for those that make an effort to write properly.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Triniman wrote:We should shut down our zoo so that we can continue to fund our forthcoming white elephant at the Fork.
Silence! You bore me.

Silence! But not enough to ignore me! lol!

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavola- "The Friends of the Conservatory" is a non-profit group of volunteers that run different fund raisers, mothers day sale, gardening saturday, dancing in the park, marihuana wholesale, etc, and raise funds with no city help.
They donate funds raised back to the Conservatoty , but mainly have been raising funds to help build a butterfly conservatory. I believe that they have $500,000 in trust for that purpose, but since the new management at the Assiniboine Park , do not want a Butterfly Conservatory, the Friends are looking at the possibility of having to take their mandate to another place. That is a shame, since the Friends have been operating for over 20 years, and I as one would love to visit a Conservatory when it was -35* and be amongst butterflies!
What an image! Butterflies in winter!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Isn;t there a buttefly thing in St James they could move to/ improve?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't think there is any live butterfly anything. I googled butterfly conservatory and there are 2 in Ontario, I think one in Calgary. We have the coldest weather here in Winnipeg, and just the idea of being in Winnipeg in winter and amongst butterflys makes my heart lift. There was a comprehensive study done 8 years ago by one of the Winnipeg architect firms, but I have no idea on the costs, and especially heating costs to keep it working in wintertime would be pretty high.
The charges to get in in Ontario are probably $10-$15 but there would probably be yearly passes etcetra.
The business side of this project would have to be worked out. The city has a certain amount of funding, but this new group who have taken over have some pretty good plans to develop the zoo,and it looks like they have all the big money names on the committees. Fund raising from the locals! Aspers, are on the board, of course, and Hartley Richardson is in charge!

Last edited by rosencrentz on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hmmm... I could swear it was on the front page of the freep press or at least the front page of one of the sections sometime in the last few days.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think it was about a place that had dead, mounted on pins butterflies!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum