the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

political correctness gone to far? or not enough?

5 posters

regarding the removal of a song from a video game..

political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Vote_lcap0%political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Vote_lcap60%political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Vote_rcap 60% [ 3 ]
political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Vote_lcap40%political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/081020/technology/lifestyle_games_videogames_it_britain_us_japan_islam

Videogame delayed over possible offence to Muslims

It seems that one of the background music tracks include expressions from the Koran.

So the video is being slightly changed to remove this.

A quote from the above link
"A post on a Sony public Internet forum alerted developers to the issue, noting that Diabate's "Tapha Niang" included two expressions from the Koran that could cause offence to Muslims.

The forum user, who identified himself only as "yasser", said that "Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending (sic)," in a post on Thursday.
"

Okay...I guess...except wouldn't almost every word be in the Koran in some form or another? Wouldn't every single song on the planet that contains lyrics be offensive then? Is this taking political correctness to far? Or is this acceptable? not far enough?

Or what worse the fact that presumably as in most games something will get killed in someway in this game, even something like a fly, or perhaps a plant, thats acceptable but singing some words is not?

sun_wukong

sun_wukong

This is one of my biggest issues with liberals. It seems we live in a world where it is now forbidden to offend someone. At some point along the way, we became a bunch of sensitive pansies.

If people want to live in a Vanilla world, go SCREW! I mean seriously folks, every special interest group now has some sort of agenda. Movies cannot be realistic for fear you will insult a particular group. A comedian cannot goof on a particular ethnic group, certain groups cannot use certain colourful words now. It has gotten totally out of hand.

I know there are laws related to inciting violence and preaching hate, but this is not what I'm referring to. There is no law that protects me from being offended. If I see something on TV I do not like I simply turn it off.

It seems though, that these special interest groups are trying to 'protect' certain groups. It is almost like being offended by proxy. Oh, you don't offend me... but you might be offending a particular group of people, so it is my duty to b!tch and moan about it.

PC people can kiss my fat, hairy rear.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

It's not political correctness here...they are afraid that if they offend some Muslim...some psycho is going to fly a plane into their building.

True Muslims believe in "live and let live"...so it's they psychos they are worried about. They are also afraid that if they do nothing, that the backlash from the bad press will hurt sales.

Was there an outcry when the Byrds recorded "Turn, Turn, Turn"?

Even if there was...it's still a good song.

Political Correctness as a rule is retarded...of course you don't want to offend people...but there is no way you can ever please everyone.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Isn't being PC basically all about you are scared of some group killing your political career? And has taken on the meaning of some group having any sort of backlash against you?

So regardless of if they are scared of just the crazy people or of all Muslims being against them, isn't this still a matter of political correctness?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense of sales being down.

No, in the sense of not wanting to die Very Happy

If I'm on the sidewalk downtown surrounded by Natives...odds are good I'm not going to go spouting off about "those damn Indians"...but in certain circles or groups of people I associate with...that's exactly what we would say.

I have nothing against Natives, First Nations, Indians, etc...as a people...but there are a few fanatics out there who would make me be cautious as to what I say/do...so I don't end up scalped.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Now THIS to me is an extreme form of "Political Correctness" gone wrong.

I received this via e-mail from a friend of mine asking me to forward it on...instead I'm posting it here.

Nor should we forget the Gypsies/Romany whom the Nazis murdered. Nor should we forget the genocides of Armenians and Rwandans. History is full of genocides
and groups of people who have claimed they never happened. Humans have
murdered others. Anyone who wishes to help humanity become more than we
are now should never forget any of the atrocities that we have visited upon
ourselves, upon our neighbors, upon our brothers and sisters, no matter who
claimed those horrors never occurred. Regardless or race, religion, or
ethnicity, if people wish to transcend to something more than just
"talking apes" we must never forget the past and always strive to not
repeat past mistakes.

General Eisenhower Warned Us

political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Pic_311

political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Pic_210

It is a matter of history that when Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces,
General Dwight Eisenhower, found the victims of the death camps he
ordered all possible photographs to be taken, and for the German people
from surrounding villages to be ushered through the camps and even made
to bury the dead.

He did this because he said in words to this effect:

Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses - because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Pic_110

In the UK, a school removed The Holocaust from its History Department curriculum because it 'offended' the Muslim population which claims it never occurred. This is a frightening portent of the fear that is gripping the world and how
easily each country is giving into it.

political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Pic_410

It is now more than 60 years after the Second World War in Europe ended. This is being sent as a memorial chain, in memory of the,6 million Jews, 20 million Russians,10 million Christians and 1,900 Catholic priests who were murdered, raped, burned, starved, beat, experimented on and humiliated' while the German people looked the other way! Now, more than ever, with Iran, among others, claiming the Holocaust to be 'a myth,' it is imperative
to make sure the world never forgets.

This is intended to reach 400 million people! Be a link in the memorial chain and help distribute this around the world.

How many years will it be before the attack on the World Trade Center, ‘NEVER HAPPENED' or worse yet to say George Bush did it because it offends some Muslim U.S.?

political correctness gone to far? or not enough? Pic_510

Last edited by AGEsAces on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anonymous

I thought that 'political correctness' was about showing respect to others.

However, there are extremes on both sides of the argument; people with thin skins and people that go for shock value and want to offend, and that's not nice.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

political correctness gone to far?

Should be: political correctness gone too far.

This inattention to proper grammar deeply offends me.

Death to all infidels who bastardize the English language.

Anonymous

lol..I'd give you two thumbs up, if I knew how to do it.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Actually, it's only partially a hoax.

If you read down the page on snopes...it says that 1 school in the UK DID do it in their History department.

I'm editing the thing I posted to reflect that and not perpetuate bad rumours.

I realize snopes has become a "goto" site for info...but any site that includes pop-ups I tend to ignore as spam.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

first you complain I use too many "o"s now you complain that I use to few.

:O

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:

Actually, it's only partially a hoax.

If you read down the page on snopes...it says that 1 school in the UK DID do it in their History department.

I'm editing the thing I posted to reflect that and not perpetuate bad rumours.

I realize snopes has become a "goto" site for info...but any site that includes pop-ups I tend to ignore as spam.

Isn't one school too many?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:Isn't one school too many?

that's why i only edited my post instead of deleting it!! Very Happy

Anonymous

Funny how we have all seemingly forgotten basic manners, but political correctness is so very important.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum