the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

George Foreman Lean Mean Fryer from Canadian Tire

+2
AGEsAces
Deank
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL oh man this is good... the GF deep fryer is on sale this weekend. If you dont already know CT has a review section where people who bought the item can comment..... this is just too awesome I just need to post some of the comments for you.
" received this deep fryer for Christmas and used it for the first time today. Since I"ve never used a deep fryer, I was a little nervous about it "

"I've never been a deep fryer but my children love McD's and I had to find an alternate (healthier) way to give them what they want. We had fun all weekend. We made poutine, donuts, nuggets, you name it. "

hehe... anyway apparently this deep fryer "spins" your food after cooking to spin added fat and oil off food. and the item comes with "more than 5 delicious recipes"

more then 5? so what? six? seven? hehehehe...

anyway..anyone own this bad boy?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:LOL oh man this is good... the GF deep fryer is on sale this weekend. If you dont already know CT has a review section where people who bought the item can comment..... this is just too awesome I just need to post some of the comments for you.
" received this deep fryer for Christmas and used it for the first time today. Since I"ve never used a deep fryer, I was a little nervous about it "

"I've never been a deep fryer but my children love McD's and I had to find an alternate (healthier) way to give them what they want. We had fun all weekend. We made poutine, donuts, nuggets, you name it. "

hehe... anyway apparently this deep fryer "spins" your food after cooking to spin added fat and oil off food. and the item comes with "more than 5 delicious recipes"

more then 5? so what? six? seven? hehehehe...

anyway..anyone own this bad boy?

No...I did look at it for Christmas....but honestly it's too small.
I opted for the 5L one at Canadian Tire.

The George Forman one is great if you're worried about the grease/fat content...but if you use a deep fryer correctly...you don't get that much oil anyway left in your food.
And the 5L version cooks (easily) twice as much food at a time than the GF.

I DO have the George Forman electric grill...the big giant one (can't buy it in Canada)...can cook 20 hamburgers at a time (the big Bison Burgers). I mounted the stand that comes with it on casters so I can move it around easier.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

true... keep the oil at the right temp and dont overload it.. and the stuff does not actually soak up much oil.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:true... keep the oil at the right temp and dont overload it.. and the stuff does not actually soak up much oil.

That...and there are "techniques" for reducing oil use.

After Christmas my wife made some Sweet Potato "fries" with ours (phenomenal if you've never had them).

Anyway...she was upset because she did only a couple of potatoes and had to add oil...so I watched what she was doing and showed her the couple of tricks I've learned.

Afterwards she cooked another 8 potatoes and never had to add any additional oil.

Sometimes it just takes some education Smile.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yukon gold potatoes made into french fries are freaking awesome.
man we only add oil like once every couple of weeks...like mostly only when it is just about time to change the oil.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What oil would you'all recommend for deep fryers???

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

depends what flavour you like to cook with and depends on what you are cooking.

peanut oil gives an awesome flavour, is very expensive though and does not lend itself well to things like chicken nuggets. (plus there is the whole alergy thing to deal with if someone comes over).

I use canola oil mostly... mostly cause its cheap

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Yeah...typically for fries I use Canola Oil.

The other thing to consider is flashpoint...if you're cooking something that cooks at lower temperatures...olive oil might work best...but not for high temperatures cause it tends to flame up quicker.

Just stay away from motor oil...that makes everything taste funny Wink.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

What are these tricks to making your oil go farther?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

FlyingRat wrote:What are these tricks to making your oil go farther?

1) most deep fryers have an option of raising the basket out of the oil...but leaving it "hang". Do this...let the basket hang over the oil for at least 30 seconds before removing it. If you're able to shake it, or move it while it's hanging (some are locked)...do this for the 30 seconds.
2) when you fill your oil initially...fill it about 1/8-1/4" past the fill line. as oil heats, the density decreases...and "settles" a bit. you will notice this if you fill it TO the line, and heat up the oil, it will have dropped a bit.
3) (this one doesn't conserve oil...just let's more come out of the food). Dump your cooked food in a colander or tray that's lined with paper-towels. It will actually draw much of the oil out of the food and into the papertowel.

Depending on the food you're cooking...there's a couple of other small things.

Some of these things people know, some people just never learned.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

4) take the basket out of the fryer completely before filling it with your items. Put the items in the basket... give it a shake over the sink or garbage can to remove the stuff that is going to fall off anyway. ( dont shake so hard you break your food )

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

not a bad suggestion...but I don't bother with that.

Though, it will help keep the amount of food particles get left "in" the oil down. Less debris floating later.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:
I DO have the George Forman electric grill...the big giant one (can't buy it in Canada)...can cook 20 hamburgers at a time (the big Bison Burgers).

I saw one last night @ "The Bargain Shop" or whatever that's called on Lagimodiere and Panet.....$99 and it's "the big one"......in case anyone else wants to own one with out the hassle of a border hop.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JT Estoban wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:
I DO have the George Forman electric grill...the big giant one (can't buy it in Canada)...can cook 20 hamburgers at a time (the big Bison Burgers).

I saw one last night @ "The Bargain Shop" or whatever that's called on Lagimodiere and Panet.....$99 and it's "the big one"......in case anyone else wants to own one with out the hassle of a border hop.

No...it's not "the big one" Smile)

They don't sell it in Canada.

Linens & Things was selling one they called "Large"...and it was 1/2 as big as the one I got in the US.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

okay, so there's a large one
a big one
and a big giant one?

Is this just small medium and large renamed?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

The Large Grill is the one being sold in Canada (or was in Linens & Things) (200sq in.)
Large Grill

The Giant Grill is the one I got in the US (240sq in.)
Giant Grill

So now you can compare per sq. in. what's available.
The Giant Grill cost $149US about 6 years ago...came with the stand (I added a caster to each foot on the stand so it can roll around now).

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Peanut Oil....Menards sells it in huge containers for a lot less than what one pays in Canada....as well, oil should be at around 350 F....when adding food do it slowly, like say in the case of frozen breaded whatevers, the oil temp will drop thus allowing more fat to penetrate the food which is what one does not want to have happen.

A trick we used in restaurants back in the day when most places took the time out to make their own fries was to blanch the chopped spuds first in the hot oil.....remove from the oil, set aside covered with a damp towel in the fridge and then at lunch rush - VOILA!! - back in the fryer, nice and browned and fast....not greasy at all.....i like to finish my home chips off in the oven on a cookie sheet so i can spice them up a wee bit....

an alternative to fryers though is baking your veggie chips.....bit more labour intensive but healthier....using olive oil, coarse salt, a brush and a teflon cookie sheet.....you must have a mandoline to get the nice thin cuts of veg

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Using a baking stone under the broiler with oil and spices works good too!

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

The one that I saw, was not like the ones in the links provided....

If anything, is was one of these two models:

The Next Grilleration
or
Family Size Next Grilleration

I don't remember which model it was specifically, and i don't really care to go back in order to find out....I just saw it, and thought I would share... sunny

Last edited by JT Estoban on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Meh)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum