the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

what should jury's get paid?

+4
darkwind
Freeman
grumpy old man
Deank
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1what should jury's get paid? Empty what should jury's get paid? Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Letter writer John K Collins has written a good letter to the editor of "The Times" I dont have a link sorry.

He writes about how its time the Jury Act is rewritten and how Jury members recieve no pay for first two weeks of jury duty and a mere $30 a day when/if they do get paid.

One can argue its thier civic duty to server on a jury and that paying them makes it less of a civic duty. Well that one would not be me arguing that. If judges, lawyers, police, court workers and everyone else under the sun recieved decent pay to be at court, so too should the Jury member.
Would you end up with people trying to extend the trial ala Paauullleeyy Shores excellent movie "Jury Duty"? Perhaps... but I doubt that would be a significant enough occassion to warrant not paying these people a living wage.

My take. $90 tax free from day one. Including Jury selection.

2what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:10 am

Anonymous

plus catering.Smile

3what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:12 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Damn straight plus catering.

but healthy grown in Manitoba foods only of course Very Happy

4what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:15 am

Anonymous

Are Arctic Char and Bison Manitoba foods?

5what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I worked for a company that paid employees when they had to go to court. Perhaps the legislation should be rewritten where employees pay staff and company applies for reimbursement. Just musin'.

6what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We consider it to be a civic duty to sit on a jury when required to do so, so we provide a paid absence if summoned for jury duty, but you have to give back whatever you get. Same goes if you are subpoened to be a witness.

7what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 am

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

My wages were paid by my employer when I was on a jury; If it had been longer than the two weeks and I had gotten the $30, I was expected to reimburse that to my employer.

But there were people on the same jury that had to sit all day in court and then go work evenings at their job because they did not have such a benefit, which I thought kind of sucked. The ones that did were self-employed in the service industry (such as hairstyling).

I *think* if you have financial hardship by losing income, that is an excuse for getting out of jury duty though.

8what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:06 am

Anonymous

The company being reimbursed by the goverment for your time would start to pile up. One thing that was looked at was 60 percent of it paid back to your employer. Remember the committee don't know what happened.

9what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:58 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

darkwind wrote:My wages were paid by my employer when I was on a jury; If it had been longer than the two weeks and I had gotten the $30, I was expected to reimburse that to my employer.

But there were people on the same jury that had to sit all day in court and then go work evenings at their job because they did not have such a benefit, which I thought kind of sucked. The ones that did were self-employed in the service industry (such as hairstyling).

I *think* if you have financial hardship by losing income, that is an excuse for getting out of jury duty though.

Thats true. My Dad was summoned for jury duty and he explained to them that he had a trip planned to Wales and that the tickets were purchased and were non-refundable. He was asked to provide a copy of the ticket and they excused him from jury duty.

10what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

How can one weasel out of jury duty?

11what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

*Tell the court you have been reading about the case and believe the accused is as guilty as sin.
*Tell the court you cannot take time off work due to financial hardship.
*Tell the court you have to take care of your children because your wife is an alcoholic.

Personally I'd do my duty for any number of reasons. Mostly I'd like to see our judicial system in action up close and personal.

12what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Agreed, I'd do it and I think I would enjoy it, but if there were circumstances which put me in a real bind, I would try to get out of it.

13what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:28 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would love to be on Jury duty, cant understand how i have never been called for duty when I know people who have been called more then once. Shouldn't this be some sort of Queue? Ie start at the top of the voters list and work your way down?
BUT... I could not afford to be on Jury duty for any real amount of time.. I would have to burn vacation days.

14what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:25 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Just point at the judge and yell "I THINK THAT ONE DID IT!!!"

you WILL be dismissed! Very Happy

http://www.photage.ca

15what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:51 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I got out of serving because I answered that I thought all people charged were innocent! Dozen other reasons.

Last edited by rosencrentz on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.elansofas.com

16what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:56 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

I got out of jury duty by stating that at the time I was employed on a contract basis, and being unable to work during that service, it would be undue financial hardship.

17what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 pm

Anonymous

Just tell them you believe that justice is corrupt .

18what should jury's get paid? Empty Re: what should jury's get paid? Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:59 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Personally I think jury members should be compensated for whatever their current pay rate is (based on their most recent 2 paycheques) with a set minimum for those who may be unemployed or self-employed.

If the "crown" picks people who make $500/day to sit on a jury...so be it...it's SUPPOSED to be random right?

Yet another advantage of not getting my Citizenship Very Happy.

http://www.photage.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum