the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

MTS Windows Live e-mail

+8
eViL tRoLl
holly golightly
AGEsAces
darkwind
Deank
sputnik
grumpy old man
ragnar
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty MTS Windows Live e-mail Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:14 pm

ragnar

ragnar

As MTS users have found, we are being forced to switch to "Windows Live" instead of MTS e-mail.
We do get to keep all our old e-mail addresses (as aliases to @mymts.net). It has two ways to get your e-mail - in a browser or by using your old program. Of course, many of us are P.O.ed and ready to switch...

2MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:18 pm

ragnar

ragnar

In other forums, people were worried about what happens to their favourite e-mail programs.

I loathe the idea of having Microsoft Windows Live managing my e-mail. BUT, I went ahead and tried it, using the option to keep all my e-mail programs instead of the livemail.com site. It is not horrible yet, but I do not like the idea of handing things over to the Evil Empire. Everything seems pretty much the same so far, but it asks for my password at random intervals. The worst part was trying to set up Mailwasher, but I used the settings that they suggest for the Mac.
The PC was set up easily, but there were a few hoops to jump through for the Mac.
BTW, I am using Mail with OSX and Outlook Express with my PC.
I just don't want the hassle of switching e-mail addresses. If I quit MTS, my e-mail address dies right away (well, there is 30 days before I am done). BUT, MTS says that for $4.99 a month, I can keep my e-mail address as a temporary stop-gap.
I am just trying to decide whether to switch the land line too...

3MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Consider using a web-based email package (Gmail for example). Suggest you begin the process of changing your eMAIL address early to avoid the MTS address from dieing too soon.

For every email you send out include a message advising your friends and family and business associates that you will be changing email addresses soon. Do this early enough and often enough and your transition will go relatively smoothly.

Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the sandbox.

4MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:25 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

I use gmail. Allows me to be ISP independent.

5MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

MTS called me. tried to get me to switch to their internet and TV.

I said.. but my current email has been used by me for over 5 years. You are not offering my enough of a discount to make it worth my while. They said what would it take.

I said, free long distance, free internet and free TV for 2 years. They said goodbye.

6MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:48 pm

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

I use MTS and I made the switch to "windows live" pretty painlessly. It was hard to remember the web address for when I wanted to check my email when I'm not at home.

At home I use Thunderbird and it was pretty easy to switch all the settings.

Someone else I know switched to Windows Live, logged in to its online web mail reader and then set it to automatically forward everything to a gmail address.

7MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:21 am

ragnar

ragnar

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have had the same e-mail address since Escape was my provider, so EVERYTHING is linked to it. I could/should use g-mail (I think I even have a long-forgotten g-mail address).
I went through this the last time, when MTS absorbed Escape and stuck a number on the end of my e-mail address. ARRRGH!
I know at least one MTS tech support person who uses Shaw at home. I should have changed when I heard that!

8MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:49 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Is Shaw no different than MTS? Should they change their game you risk going through the same hurdles.

9MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Shaw is very different from MTS...especially now with the MTS changeover.

I went through the "change" back in March...and immediately had issues with the LiveMail version.

It pissed us off so much, we switched to Shaw within two weeks of the hassle beginning. (I think I posted about it in here somewhere).

What really clinched it for me though...was I was talking to the MTS Tech Support about the issues I was having...and they said it was an MS problem, so I contacted MS and they said it was an MTS problem...and the then MTS guy tells me (when I threatened to move to Shaw), that Shaw would be switching over at the end of the year also....

When I told Shaw about that to try to confirm before I switched...they laughed and said "yeah...MTS will say just about anything".

e-mail wise...we've been very happy using Shaw.

http://www.photage.ca

10MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Years ago we switched from Shaw to MTS for our internet and TV. On average for the last 10 years (especially when we had the MTS TV) we would get at least 6 letters and then follow up phone calls from Shaw offering us some sort of package to come back to their service. Because we were geting a good deal through MTS due to my hubby's employer, we choose to stick with MTS. When MTS announced the HD capabilites, we were willing to wait it out but we kept getting strung along by them, first being told summer of 2009, then late fall 2009, then early 2010. Finally around the 10th of January my husband talked to a friend who works for MTS as a senior project manager and she told us the area we live in most likely would not be getting MTS HDTV for more than 5 more years and gave us some bull$h!t technical reason. With that we switched everything to Shaw, HDTV, Internet, home phone. And we got an amazing deal through Shaw. When we cancelled with MTS they never made us a counter offer, just proceeded to bill us and then 2 days later sent the bill to collection even though we had never been late or over due on one payment to them in all the time we had used them. We countered with a letter from our lawyer stating our position and the collection notice and outstanding payment was closed. Since that move, we have not had one letter/offer or phone call from MTS with an offer of a "great deal" to come back to them. I still have my cell phone through MTS but once my contract is up I will be shopping around to see who will offer me the best deal for what I am looking for. If there is another provider that is $5.00 more per month than MTS but offers what I am needing I will pay the extra just to not have MTS. Ever since they went private, the service to the customer has become absolute crap.

11MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

MTS mobile is exasperating. If mine was not a business phone I'd change in a heartbeat.

12MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 am

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:MTS mobile is exasperating. If mine was not a business phone I'd change in a heartbeat.
Yes, when my contract was done I switched to Telus where I got a much better free phone, plan that cost 20% less for more features and time, plus a $100 BestBuy card!

13MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I got off the email merry-go-round years ago and switched to gmail. As stated above, it allows you to be ISP independent.

Shaw, MTS, Telus, Rogers....neighbors unsecured/unencrypted wireless signal, doesn't matter who my ISP is! Plus it works quite well w/my smart phone form anywhere! MTS Windows Live e-mail Icon_wink

14MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:46 pm

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

When my MTS.net e-mail expires at the end of October 2010 I'm moving it
to one of my website domains.

It's hosted on a Linux Fedora
system. No Microsoft LIVE mail
allowed.

As long as I'm paying my domain
and web hosting I can send and
receive.

Then there's gmail (I don't really
use but is part of Youtube).
And Yahoo! Mail.

15MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:55 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Can someone explain the above complaints to me? When I was in the fancy part of time I was with MTS for phone, TV, and the internet, after I temporary lost the free bandwidth. $ Way too much money, $55 phone, $55 TV, $40 internet.
I am with Shaw now internet at $10 for the 1st 6 months,am planning on spending $10 for the 1st 6 months of the TV, but no more land phone at all.
Should I care who ?

http://www.elansofas.com

16MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:41 pm

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

I'm having an issue with Windows Live through MTS and even the MTS tech guy couldn't figure it out - seems like the problem is with HOTMAIL. I knew there was a good reason not to trust hotmail - I abandoned my account with hotmail a long time ago for good reason.

When I'm not at home, and I want to check my mail though webmail, it often doesn't let me actually click though to read the mails. When I get to my inbox and I click on the icon to read an email, it sends me back to the password page. This is even after clicking "remember me" when I log in. It takes me a lot of clicking and re-logging in to read an email, and it's very frustrating. I only have access to one browser at work (IE) due to work computers. When I'm at home and my mail is downloading onto my mail program, it works fine.

17MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:34 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I've been using it since they transferred my account over 6 months ago at least with no problems. I haven't seen any issues on my end other than having to install the Windows Live mail client on my machines at home. Now that Microsoft has added Exchange support to Live Mail it's been great being able to access it on the native iPhone mail app as well.

My only compaint would be the layout of the Live Mail webmail interface. It just plain and simple sucks.

18MTS Windows Live e-mail Empty Re: MTS Windows Live e-mail Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:09 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

darkwind wrote:I'm having an issue with Windows Live through MTS and even the MTS tech guy couldn't figure it out - seems like the problem is with HOTMAIL. I knew there was a good reason not to trust hotmail - I abandoned my account with hotmail a long time ago for good reason.

When I'm not at home, and I want to check my mail though webmail, it often doesn't let me actually click though to read the mails. When I get to my inbox and I click on the icon to read an email, it sends me back to the password page. This is even after clicking "remember me" when I log in. It takes me a lot of clicking and re-logging in to read an email, and it's very frustrating. I only have access to one browser at work (IE) due to work computers. When I'm at home and my mail is downloading onto my mail program, it works fine.

Your problem is a cookie setting in your browser, OR a security setting in your AV software.

Basically, you're not allow to store passwords on your computer (even temporarily) so when you go to read your e-mail, hotmail believes you've signed out.

There are a few fixes...
1) change your cookie settings (see if there's a list of blocked cookies too...hotmail might be listed...clear the list)
2) turn off your AV software and see if you have problems
3) check your cache settings...it's also possible you have enough to store only a few pages, and with all the advertising MS puts in Hotmail now...you may fill your cache before you can get to your e-mail.

Hope those help.

http://www.photage.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum